Question about becoming a pilot

Hello Pilots.

My name is David and I am in 9th grade. I want to become a future pilot for United or Delta. What should I do right now and I also have a few questions,

Do I need a bachelor’s degree?

What flight school’s do you recommend?

David,

We’ve been seeing an influx of questions from high schoolers which is fantastic. That is the perfect time to start indulging in careers and seeing what path may be for you. Right now you should enjoy being young, whether that is participating in activities like sports or other recreational school activities, join a club or two. Excel well in your primary education getting good grades and looking at attending some sort of college.

While the airlines don’t “require” a 4-year degree, it is preferred. You should have a backup plan in any industry you work (especially the airlines) and we recommend finding something that you would enjoy partaking if something in aviation fell through. I have a business degree, now airline pilot.

If you look in the upper left-hand corner you will see that this forum is sponsored by ATP, and while all of us mentors are successful graduates and current airline pilots, we aren’t bias (I’m sort of bias). If you scroll through student experiences and the success stories, you’ll see a few placements and journeys along the way. I recommend doing your research to which flight school is best for YOU. Visit a few, don’t be shy, and ask questions, meet people, and explore.

Brady

1 Like

David,

The best thing you can can right now is to get good grades. Your GPA will matter in a few years when you’re applying to airlines. Keep researching the industry and taking discovery flights when you can. The Civil air patrol is also a great place for young aviation enthusiasts like yourself.

We do recommend you include college in your plan to becoming a pilot.

Hannah

1 Like

Thank you