How to become an airline pilot

Hello, my name is George Rozzi, I am a freshman in high school and I live in Indiana. Recently, I have been very interested with becoming a Commercial airline pilot in the future and was wondering what the path to there would look like. I have looked at some other posts and many of them say you need to have a 4-year degree to become a commercial pilot, but I was wonder what degree you would recommend to become a pilot in the future.
All responses are appreciated!
-George

At your age the answer couldnt be easier. Finish high school, get good grades. Apply for every scholarship and grant you can find so youre bot buried with student loans for half your life. Any major you like, its completely irrelevant to the airlines. Then get your first class medical and go to flight school.

Far more crucial than your college major or anything besides your first class medical is not having a criminal record. No DUIs or drug charges, no minor in posession, no drunk in public, no reckless ops, no juvy record, no adult record, nothing more than a speeding ticket. No matter how long ago or if it got cleared up in court or expunged or sealed, doesnt matter, any run in with the law (especially if you get arrested) you will have to answer for to the FAA and to thr airlines. Doesnt matter if you get arrested for stealing a candy bar as a 14yr old and go fo your medical at 50yr old, it will hold you up.

So you have a decision to make. Cant tell you not to partake in high school and especially college party lifestyle, but those carry cop risks, and if flying is something you genuinely want to do with your life, even one arrest can be the end of your flying career long before it begins

George,

Roman makes some good points but you need not be a Saint and parties and other extra-curricular activities are fine as long as you stay out of trouble.

Adam

Why do I need a 4 year degree if I’m not going to use it?@adam

George,

Because while the Major airlines don’t require one they do prefer one and if/when hiring slows down you’ll want to be competitive.

Adam

George,

Tons of reasons other than just for hiring and competitiveness. What would your gameplan be if there happened to be another pilot shortage or something health related prevented you to fly?

Another way to look at a 4-year degree is a backup plan if something aviation fell through.

Brady

yes i see your point and i have decided i am going to Purdue and majoring in Aviation Safety Management

Im in between jobs at 47 years old I would love to be a pilot . I basically dont know where to start with little money to spare with bills. (STUPID AMAZON) I just want to get my liscenes as quick as i can and start flying to get hours so I can move up to commercial or what ever pays good. Im used to making a good salary working at a glass factory job. When the factory closed I found myself looking at what Ive always wanted to do. FLY ??

Dacid,

I would encourage you to check out the FAQ section of this website and ATP’s main website. Many of your questions can be answered at those two places. After that, we would be happy to help answer any specific questions that you may have.

Chris

David,

My first question to you is: Have you EVER taken an introductory flight in a trainer aircraft? How can you for sure say, “I would love to be a pilot,” if you have not taken any introductory or discovery flight at a local airport?

And regarding the above quote, while some think the money AND rewards are fantastic, large, fascinating, it is more than just the money or pay. You are responsible for the lives of many behind you, operating sometimes in hazardous challenges (i.e., around storms) and dealing with stressful situations at times; you are a person of authority, professionalism, and confidence. This job is more than “just about the money.”

Again, I recommend an introductory flight and as Chris mentioned, check out the FAQs and thoroughly review ATP’s website.

Brady

David,

I have to be honest there are a few things in your post that are screaming at me.

You say you’ve always wanted to fly, but you’re 47 and never have? Why is that? Have you ever taken any lessons? Gone for an intro flight? Don’t anything to pursue what you’ve “always wanted to do”? If the answer is no what makes you think you’ll like it or more important be good at it?

You say you want to get your licenses asap so you can move to and make good money. You’ve probably heard airline pilots make good money (and many do). Thing is those at the top of the food chain are senior, widebody Capts. Starting at 47, the reality is that’s a position you’ll never achieve as you simply don’t have enough time. If you end up making only ok money do you still want to fly?

Finally all the required licenses and ratings will cost you about $100k, you won’t be able to work during training (at least 7mos) and the 1.5-2yrs you’ll need to build the required 1500hrs won’t pay well at all. Is that something you can handle with “little money to spare”?

Adam

David,

At 47, the accelerated pace of ATP to get your ratings fast will be a challenge. Plus, if you don’t have a healthy savings account to pay in cash, taking out the loan for 100k might not be a great idea, with only about 15 years to pay it off before the mandatory retirement age. The money is good eventually, but there are years where it’s just enough to cover basic expenses with some to spare. If you’re mostly in it for a “make big money fast” idea, you’re probably going to be disappointed.

Hannah