Question Regarding ATP's Teaching Method(s)

Hello everyone!

My name is Jacob, and I have had a passion for aviation for most of my life, in particular with the idea of my career being an airline pilot. Upon looking at flight schools across Southern California, I stumbled across ATP, and I am unsure about how exactly they teach?

I myself grasp information much easier with a hands-on working environment. I always have. However, when hearing stories of others whom have just started their journey with ATP, I started to see that there is a plethora of manuals and guides, which may be in place of a traditional teaching setting. Manuals for me aren’t the concern. I understand that as with any career, it’s just the name of the game. But are manuals and guides the brunt of learning? To what extent is there hands-on training at ATP? Are there any recommendations to other avenues that might be more hands of, if indeed ATP is not?

Thank you in advance for taking time to read my questions! I look forward to hearing from you all, and I am eager to learn more information to choose the correct steps for me to begin my career!

Sincerely,
Jacob Szilagyi

If your goal is to become a pilot (especially a professional pilot) get used to manuals, guides, self study, and discipline. As you progress from a private pilot, to a commercial pilot, and eventually an airline transport pilot, you can expect less guided instruction and more self study. There is a reason why pilots are classified as a profession alongside doctors, lawyers, etc.

Jacob,

EVERYONE wants to just “kick the tires and light the fires” but that’s simply not how it works. If anything I’d say ATP spends less time burying your head in the books than many schools. That said there is a tremendous amount of knowledge that pilots need and are responsible for knowing. For every license and rating you need to acquire there a practical (hands on test) but there is also a written knowledge and oral knowledge exam covering things like aircraft systems, weather, regulations, aerodynamics, operating procedures etc. These are things you can’t learn “hands on”, they can only be learned from study. You could literally be the greatest aviator on the planet but if you can’t pass the knowledge exams you can’t get your license. If you want to be a pilot you better get get used to the idea of spending a great deal of quality time with your nose in the books.

Adam

Trey & Adam, thank you both for your insight! I truely value your advice and your opinions. If I could ask, how was your experience with ATP, if you attended?

Thanks again!
Jacob

I’ll have to let you know in a few months…I start on August 27th and am really looking forward to it.

Jacob,

If you read my profile you’ll know I’m a HUGE fan of ATP and their program. That’s the reason I participate as a mentor on the forum, simply to pay it forward. I honestly know I would not be where I am today (which is a Capt at a Major airline) had it not been for ATP. Not only did they train me extremely well and in record time AND get me hired at a Regional when I didn’t believe that was even possible. ATP’s accelerated program (which was created BY airline pilots and is modeled after airline training) prepared me for the airlines which is something no other program does.

Adam

Just to clarify-

I think the OP was asking what opportunities there are to ask questions or get answers to specific questions related to the learning objectives that each flight lesson is covering.

I myself learn best by being able to talk through and about course material. A self-study program can be fast and efficient, but doesn’t offer an inherent way to confirm you’re learning. This is the greatest concern I have going into my training.

At ATP, there is plenty of time to ask questions. The program is by no means self taught, it just involves a fair amount of self study time.

1 Like

Trey,

I have the same start date in Southern CA. How is the preparation going for you? I am working on the stuff that needs to be completed prior to the start date. I’ll try very hard to complete at least my private written before I start, it seems like the time is flying too fast though.

Hey John,

I’m coming in with my Private so I started with the Introduction to Instrument modules on the Student Extranet. Following that, I took my IRA, FII, CAX, AGI Knowledge tests and am scheduled to complete FOI this Friday. My biggest goal was to complete all the knowledge exams before starting. I enrolled way back in March so I’ve had plenty of time to get these done. After FOI, my final bits of preparation will be to memorize the emergency procedures for the 172 and maybe read through the Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures Handbook to get a head start on departures, arrivals, STAR’s, filing, etc.

Again, I’ve had a ton of time to prepare since I enrolled 5 months ago and because I’ve been flying for 14 years, I’ve been exposed to some of the material for a while. If I were in your shoes, I’d focus on the King’s Software to begin your learning of aviation and maybe try to bust out the Private Pilot Knowledge exam. Because we start in just under 3 weeks, these would likely be realistic goals for yourself.

Have fun dude and safe flying, - Trey

Trey,
Thanks for the heads up! Wow, you are already far ahead of the game, congratulations! I just graduated from the university so there was no way to start working on the ATP stuff since I was all booked with my capstone and one final class on top of that. I am currently working on the King Schools courses, which is lots of fun, and hopefully I will complete that private before I start the program. Best of luck to you man!