Questions Before Start Date

Hello!

I have three brief questions about the training before I start next month (can’t wait!).

-I did some of my PPL training in an old 1979 Cessna 172N, and the seats weren’t adjustable enough for me. I needed cushions both underneath and behind me (for reference, I’m 5’7"). Do you know if the seats in the newer C172s at ATP are more adjustable than the older C172s? Or am I resigned to lugging around seat cushions for the duration of my training? :persevere:

-Do most people end up signing up for Medicaid, in terms of health insurance? COBRA is unfortunately out of the question because the premiums are so high.

-I assume a headlamp (with white and red light) is considered an acceptable flashlight for ATP training purposes?

Thanks for any input!

Kilo,

I don’t believe the seating adjustment range has changed in the C172 (I could be wrong). I’d bring the cushions.

I went rogue with no insurance. I’m sure others will chime in with better suggestions.

I would get an ACTUAL flashlight. While your headlamp is probably fine and legal, should you get Inspector Crusty for your checkride, they may want to see a good old fashioned regular flashlight for looking into the engine cowl etc and not having one might make them crustier. Doesn’t have to be expensive but I’d pick one up.

Adam

Thanks, Adam!

Good insight on the flashlight, and I’ll cross my fingers I don’t get Inspector Crusty :smile:

Kilo,

The students that I trained that needed cushions were shorter than 5’7”, but bring them just in case. You might need to use one to boost you up.

I had Medicare. Not great, but gets the job done.

If you can make an argument that your headlamp is comparable to or better than a traditional flashlight, like hands free and equal or higher lumens, you should be fine.

Tory

Tory,

You’re a better man than I. Personally I don’t want to make an argument about ANYTHING during a checkride! :wink:

Adam

I also did some training in an older 172 specifically a 1972 172L and also being 5’7 I wasn’t comfortable I couldn’t reach the brakes and rudder pedals good. But I’ve also flown in a 1983 172P and 2008 172S and was comfortable in both of those.

Tory, Adam, and Aaron - thank you for the replies. I’ll have my cushions with me, but there’s at least a glimmer of hope that I won’t have to rely on them! Aaron, it sounds like we had similar experiences in older 172s: without the cushion I didn’t feel I could compress the brakes/rudder pedals fully.

And I’m probably going to go the Adam route of trying to anticipate and appease all possible silly Examiner requests!!

Adam,

I am neither better nor worse. Just offering a different perspective. I do agree though. Perhaps bad choice of words on my part? I’ve seen what happens to those that argue with the examiner. Never pretty.

Tory

Kilo,

Definitely bring the cushions.

I also went without health insurance. I was young and healthy and I knew that if I got in a catastrophic accident, no hospital would turn me away. This is probably not the best advice, but it is what I did.

If you want to use a headlamp, that is fine, but I would also bring a traditional flashlight. You will need one for the airlines anyways.

Chris