Regional airline choice for second career

Greetings mentors,

Thank you sincerely for volunteering your time to answer the array of questions that come your way on this forum, and for your professionalism in responses. I hope I can speak for everyone that your answers and feedback are highly valued, and do help us in our decision making processes.

To introduce myself: My name is Greg, and I am within a year of retiring from active duty military service, which has been an amazing career. I am not in an aviation-related field, however since 2003 I have worked as a CFI/CFII/MEI off-duty on evenings and weekends with the specific intention to transition to an airline career once military retirement came around – fifteen years later it is almost here! Teaching flight has been very rewarding, and I am ready and excited to make this next step. Slowly but steadily I’ve built up 2600 total time, mostly single engine, with 1800 as instructor. I have a master’s degree, and I am a part-time professor at a university.

I am putting together my applications, and I’m interested in your input regarding regional airlines for someone like me to target. I will be 47 when I begin this journey, which gives me just under 18 years in the profession. My realistic aspiration is to conclude my career as a mid-high seniority narrow body first officer at a major airline. Given this scenario, which direction would you recommend:

1. Because I don’t have very much time left, target a regional airline that is seeing quick upgrade times in order to start gaining turbine PIC experience sooner. This could put me in a position where I’m looked at by the majors perhaps by my early 50’s, which by what I’ve read, is about the oldest age after which chances drop off precipitously. This will be hard work, which I’m ready to put in.

2. Because I’m in my late 40’s, target a regional airline that provides the best quality of life, even if upward progression is slower. This would likely lower (possibly eliminate) the chance at achieving my goal, but I would conclude my career as a very senior captain, maybe as a check airman, with a great schedule.

In either case, I would seek to not commute and live in base if at all possible. Ideally that base would be NYC.

Of course only I really know how to valuate the pros and cons for me, and I must make the decision for myself. But I would love to hear your perspectives on the matter, as you may bring up points that I hadn’t considered. Also, I suspect I am not the only one out there with this scenario, and my hope is this thread will assist others as well.

Again, thank you so much for your time and wisdom.

Very respectfully,
Greg

Greg,

Not to be vague but honestly things are so competitive right now ALL the Regionals are very comparable. Pay rates and upgrade times are solid across the board. If you take a look here it’ll show you who’s got bases where:
https://pilotjobs.atpflightschool.com/airline-domiciles/ so you can narrow it down. Frankly with your time and experience they’ll all be looking to grab you up. If I were in your situation I’d do some research as to who fits your needs and give them all a call and see if you get a better feel for one over another. Regardless this is a great time and I don’t think you can really go wrong.

Adam

Hi Greg,

Either one of the options you mentioned sound good to me. Just boils down to what matters more to you. If it were me, I would finish my career at a regional as a captain and/or check airman because I value my time at home with family.

Here’s another link to help you compare regionals with east coast bases: www.airlinepilotcentral.com

Tory

Adam and Tory, thank you very much for your replies. I have narrowed it down to three regionals that are based in NYC, and I’m doing lots of research on them through APC and already have had great phone conversations with two of them. Adam, you’re right, it does seem that any direction should prove to be positive :slight_smile:

I’ve reread my original post and I want to restate something. I said that I’ve been teaching with the specific intention of transitioning to an airline career. While that was my original motivation to attain a CFI certificate, I found immediately that I thoroughly enjoy it, and have loved all my 1800 hours of teaching. This admittedly makes me think about the possibility of finishing out my career as a check airman at the regional level (Tory voted for that). Adam (and Chris?), you have held check airman positions – how close to flight instruction does it feel? Is there that same rewarding teacher/student connection, or does it tend to feel more paperwork/administratively driven?

Thank you again!
Greg

Greg,

I have never been a check airmen. That being said, I do fly with a lot of new pilots and I always enjoy sharing my knowledge with them. Plus, they often have things they can teach me.

Chris

Greg,

I’ve been a ground instructor at both my airlines and was in the “pool” at Xjt for a CheckAirman slot and was apparently going to get the nod at Hawaiian but switched aircraft, then switched back, so I’m back in line. I find instructing at this level actually much more rewarding than I did as a CFI. At the airlines you’re obviously dealing with a different “level” of pilots. I find in most cases these pilots are much more motivated and most have exceptional attitudes and are looking to be better and hone their skills. These pilots have experience and know their strengths and are looking to minimize their weaknesses. While I honestly never loved flight instructing I very much enjoy airline instruction and believe being a check airman would be the pinnacle of my career. I’m certain you’d find it very satisfying.

Adam

Chris, you’re right that there can always be something to learn from a less experienced pilot. I certainly have learned a ton from my students. Adam, I am very happy to hear your answer, and I will remember it in the future as I gain more experience in this career. I hope your goal to become a check airman at Hawaiian comes to realization soon.

So to both of you, if you were starting your regional career today at 47, do you think you would more likely aim to conclude as a very senior check airman at a regional, or a narrow body first officer at a major?

Thanks! :slight_smile:
Greg

Greg,

I would shoot for the majors, but that is just me.

Chris

Greg,

Obviously this is your decision and it will most likely change throughout this journey but ultimately it depends on your goals. Honestly I was VERY happy as a senior Capt at Xjt. For me the decision to move on was more about lifestyle then it was a desire to “move up”. I was really over NYC living and had always dreamed of living in Hawaii. I had heard good things about Hawaiian and said I’ve taken this dream this far, let’s see how far I can push it so I threw my application in and they were foolish enough to hire. I actually didn’t apply to any other Majors as I really had no desire to fly for any of them. At Xjt I had a great schedule, worked in the Training Dept, we flew EVERYWHERE in the country it was really a fantastic gig. What I’m saying is I’d take this as it comes. Start flying for a Regional, move up the food chain and see how it feels. If it’s all good then why mess with it. If however you still have some itches to scratch (fly a heavy, fly to Europe, Asia wherever) then apply. I honestly believe I did so well in my Hawaiian interview because there was zero pressure. If I got it great but if I didn’t I was going back to the greatest job I’d ever had. Win win.

Adam

Thank you gentlemen for your continual assistance to all of us writing in to the forum. Adam, thank you for the detailed insight you’ve given me, it is very helpful. Best wishes to all of you!

Greg