Regionals / Contracts

Airline pilots,

When signing on with a regional airline, what determines which carrier/partner you will be operating under?

For example, SkyWest has a hub out of LAX. They operate from here as a partner for American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express.
Compass is the same way, operating as both American Eagle and Delta Connection.
This however seems like it may be specific to Los Angeles.

Would I be assigned to a specific one for the duration of my career with the regional? Or could it change on every trip?

I follow someone who works for Piedmont, which only operates under American Eagle. He wears an American Airlines lanyard and appears to get travel benefits to any of American’s destinations… which has left me with these complicated questions.

1 Like

TJ,

Your type rating. The question is, which aircraft does SkyWest use to operate the routes of XYZ airline? You wear the same uniform and fly the same plane regardless of which airline passengers bought a ticket for.

Tory

2 Likes

TJ,

As Tory your type and base will most likely determine which carrier you operate under. If you were to bid a different base and or a different aircraft you Major or might not change carriers depending on the Regionals agreements with that carrier.

So while it might change during your time at the Regional, it generally won’t change from day to day.

Adam

2 Likes

TJ,

This is confusing, especially when working for a regional that has numerous major airline partners. Generally where you are based will determine which airplane you fly and for which major. You will most likely fly predominantly for one major, but if your aircraft type is also on contract with another major, you could be called in to fly those flights as well.

Chris

2 Likes

This can be very difficult to understand. As those above said, I’ll agree that it truly depends on your base and aircraft. BUT - if you’re base and aircraft serve multiple contracts, it is 100% possible that you fly under a different paint scheme every trip, and even on the same day depending on reflows. But your uniform/procedures will not be changing - just making the wrong “welcome aboard xyz” announcement (been there done that). For instance, when I left SkyWest out of ORD the CRJ flew under United, American, and some Delta - while the ERJ pilots flew under United and Delta. This will sometimes also affect the flight benefits available to you. As an ERJ pilot in ORD I did not get American benefits.

4 Likes

I’m with SkyWest at ORD in the CRJ.

• At SKW you can request to change Bases every month.
  • SkyWest flies for American, Delta, United & Alaska.
  • SKW Pilots wear the same uniform (our uniform must be approved by every airline we serve, and is why changes to our uniform policy can sometimes be slow).
  • What Aircraft you fly and what Base you are at determines who you fly for (As of today you can choose either aircraft to be typed in, and choose most bases out of training or within a few months).

At ORD on the CRJ we fly for American, United and Some Delta.

• So my trip will be for one of those 3 airlines (never Alaska). I usually fly 2 trips for American and 2 for United per month.
  • So I get American, United and Delta non-rev benefits.

At ORD on the ERJ we fly for United and Delta

• So their trips will only be United or Delta.
  • And they will only have United & Delta non-rev benefits (although anyone can Jumpseat on any carrier).

If I moved to a smaller base I may only fly for Delta and American. When I make that move I would lose my non-rev benefits for United because I am no longer working their trips.
Same goes for SKW ERJ pilots when they move to different bases.

It is interesting flying for different carriers because they all operate differently, after a few months you figure out what you like and dislike about each.

Hope that helps,
Chris

6 Likes

@Tory @Adam @Chris - thank you guys! I am around a lot of flight attendants but no pilots, I forget that as a commercial pilot you get to bid on base AND aircraft. Good to know that this will depend on the aircraft I am assigned to.

@JLascomb @Cforero7 - this is so interesting and so much more than I was expecting! I couldn’t find any info on this and I completely understand now. Very cool to see I could potentially be getting non-rev benefits on multiple airlines if I get my base of choice… I was hoping you SkyWest pilots would respond. Thanks for your time.

3 Likes