Reserve Types- Short and Long Call

Good morning guys,

I have a question regarding reserve types. I know we will all have to start there no matter what regional we end up at and it can vary depending on the regional.
Short Call (Live in base or hang out at airport) and Long Call (Live up to 6 hours away and drive or JS in)

In forecasting my future career I am looking at Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta bases as my local airport has multiple daily flights to these hubs and the Texas hubs are within 6 hours driving distance for me. Picking my preferred regional will come down to which one can get me one of these bases right out the gate.

So, is short-call or long-call reserve assigned just on scheduling need or is it a seniority thing? Basically totally random?
I’d love to get one of those three bases above and sit on long-call and just drive in when called. I don’t plan on living in base. Crash pad life for me. But of course, I will do whatever I have to do. Just curious if there’s potential for some convenience.

Thanks!

Update: Got my 1st Class Medical, currently 2 hours into Private Pilot flight training at a local school. Planning on ATP CXO by March 2020.

1 Like

Joshua,

Varies from airline to airline. Some will have you bid for long or short and it will be awarded based on seniority. Others it’s just assigned. At my airline they make no formal distinction. Essentially it’s only short call but you’re often assigned a trip the day before like a long call.

That would be a good question to ask a recruiter WHEN the time comes to make a choice. What the airline does today could potentially change with new contracts.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Adam! I’ll plan on doing that when I cross that bridge.

Regardless of whether you end up on short call or long call, I would not plan on sitting around at home much. Most airlines fly their reserve pilots pretty hard.

Chris

2 Likes