Schedule and Commuting

Hello to all,

I’m new to this forum, and I have just started to seriously consider becoming a pilot. I currently work as a firefighter, but my true passion has always been aviation. I am considering ATP for my flight training or going to the FBO nearest to my home. My question has to do with schedule and commuting.

Once I was to reach an airline, how much control over my schedule would I have? I know that is a broad question and would depend on the airline, my seniority, and base. Are there any carriers out there that offer schedule flexibility? Trading trips or a schedule with a lot of turns and a return to base? I know that I would have to put my time in as a junior pilot, but QOL is huge for me. I have a young son, and I am active in my local place of worship.

My second question is about commuting. I’ve been reading the forum and have seen that some pilots commute to their base from pretty far distances. Are there any pilots that commute from South America to fly in the US? Europe? Asia?

Thank you for reading. Any and all advice helps.

Cheers!

Colin,

You pretty much answered your own question. Your schedule, EXACTLY as you state, will depend on your airline, your base, and most important your seniority. ALL carriers provide for some flexibility as far as trading but as a junior pilot with a lousy schedule there won’t be too many other pilots willing to swap with you. As you build seniority your QOL will improve but don’t count on a good one in the beginning. I love my job but I did miss far too many holidays and little league games.

Yes there are pilots who commute from everywhere. One of the perks of the job is the ability to live virtually anywhere. That said commuting is a choice and it’s on YOU to get to work on time. If you’re on Reserve (which you will be in the beginning) you can (and will) get all the way to your base only to sit and fly home a few days later never having flown. While half the pilots I know commute, none recommend it.

Adam

Colin,

Welcome to the forums! Your question is pretty open ended, but suffice it to say that in the beginning, you will have barely any control at all over your schedule. Now the beginning could take several years, it all just depends on how quickly your seniority progresses and that is completely out of your control. I would not count on being home on any Sundays for a long time…

People commute from all over the world, but I have to say that as a commuter, I strongly discourage it. You will be eating into your days off, sometimes several per month. If you want to be actively involved with your family, live where you are based.

Chris