Should I Join ATP right after high school if I qualify with my PPL

I have been researching ATP and am very interested in starting there after my graduation in June. I am presently a senior in high school here in Pasadena and am currently taking flight lessons to get my PPL. I come from an aviation family (my grandfather and grandmother both worked 30 years for TWA.) I have a passion for flying and can’t wait to become a pilot. I do plan to go to college as well and get a degree in the future. My main question is whether or not it would be a good idea to join ATP starting with my instrument rating (after I get my license during my senior year) OR… Go to a two year college first and then start ATP. (Side note - I will be 19.5 yrs old if I join ATP in the summer) Assuming that I do get my PPL in February or March during my senior year which is my number one goal, would joining ATP in the summer be a good option?? Thanks!

Kyle B.

Kyle,

We always recommend college first. For a long time ATP wouldn’t even accept students right out of HS (they added the PPL waiver as a compromise). The program is very challenging and many find they need to mature a little before they have the discipline. Also you’d be completing your training, then going to college and probably not flying much which would not do anything for your skills.

That said college isn’t for everyone and ultimately the decision should be made be you and your parents.

Adam

Kyle,

Both of my grandfathers and my mother worked for TWA. Honestly, either of your proposed routes would work well. I do recommend college first though as ATP has found that a few more years of maturity really helps students to do better in the program. However, plenty of people have gone straight to ATP from high school (with their PPL) and done well, you will really have to decide what is best for you.

Chris

You will need a Bachelor’s degree to go to the majors. In your case, you would have to do it online while at the regionals. That’s really tough to do because you haven’t been to a traditional school in years. If you do college first, you can get your degree out of the way and don’t have to worry about it as well as do the ATP Flex Track Program (https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flex-track-airline-career-pilot-program.html) at the same time.

This will allow to get hired at a regional once you graduate from college (in a non-avaition major). Hope this helps!