Speeding

2 years ago while working out of state in NY I got a speeding ticket for going 78 on a 55 mph highway. The ticket would have gotten me 6 points and my license would have gotten suspended in PA but I took a plea deal and received no points, a fine, and was required to as part of the deal to take a online safety driving course which I have done. I take responsibility for my actions even though the road was near empty and for the most part was following the speed of traffic

Last year I also got into a car accident where there was no poor behavior or any kind of reckless driving. The accident was more mutual than it was just myself but I rear ended this lady as she was merging on to a highway and suddenly hit the brakes and I didn’t react fast enough. I was found at fault for the accident

I have no college degree and just a certificate for training as a electrician from a trade school. I am looking to change careers and I am just starting to research ATP. The last thing I want is to spend a fortune on schooling only to be denied employment at regional airlines

Michael,

The speeder is no biggy and the accident wouldn’t be an issue unless you’re asked during and interview and don’t accept responsibility like you do in your narrative above (if you told that story you’d be a instant thumbs down from me and most of the pilots I know).

What I would do is seriously consider getting a degree as the Majors want one for you to be competitive.

Adam

Michael,

I don’t see a problem in this case as long as you are honest to what happened if brought up in an interview. For the college question, you should consider a degree for the Majors; below is a link for some ways to earn college credits from attending ATP Flight School as your ACPP.

Brady

That is in no way an example of taking responsibility for your actions.

I think you will be fine as long as you actually do accept responsibility, I recommend revisiting your narrative.

I am with Adam, you should consider getting a four year degree.

Chris

I appreciate your advice as well as the others who have taken time to share theirs as well. After re-reading my narrative I understand how it can come off as insincere and appears like I have not learned anything

Even though the road was near empty that’s not a excuse to go over the limit and Ill be sure to not mention that first part

Michael,

Why this matters so much is because it becomes an indicator of how you’ll act at their airline. When you answer with anything less than full admission of responsibility and regret, that leaves a possibility that you could break the law again.

They think, “well Michael mostly follows the law unless it seems logical to go faster and everyone else is doing it. Well when he’s flying an arrival procedure with speed restrictions, is he going to always adhere to them? Or decide if he’s running late and ready to be done with the trip decide to ignore them and get home earlier? That sounds like a guy who follows only the rules he agrees with. He’s a liability.”

Hannah

1 Like

Sigh

1 Like