SSRI Waiver for First Class Medical Certificate

Hey guys,
I’ve done a considerable amount of searching on the forums here, but haven’t found any exact match to my question. If this discussion has already occurred, I apologize and would appreciate a link to that conversation if it all possible.

Here is my issue:
I am trying to get an SSRI waiver for a first-class medical certificate. My plan is to get my first-class, go to ATP (I’ve already taken my admissions flight), and then work for an airline. I’m six months into the process of obtaining the SSRI waiver and still needing a psychiatrist to sign off. However, I’ve hit a roadblock with this doctor, as he is requiring medical files from my time in the Army that simply don’t exist (I’ve given him my entire army medical file and it’s still not enough, which is irritating my HIMS-AME… but that’s another story). Anyway, this obstacle has cast a rather large shadow of doubt on my career plans and after researching as much as possible on the internet, I wanted to post my questions here. So, any and all advice is welcome–even if it’s just: you’ll be looking at an uphill battle the rest of your career and might want to consider another field of work or just trying to become a private pilot on your own time. I’m simply looking for the truth. So, my questions are:

Is it feasible to get an SSRI waiver for a first-class? I know there’s a process and I’m in it, but, in all seriousness, how often does the FAA issue these waivers? For some context without giving out too much personal info, I’ve been on the same low dose of a pre-approved SSRI for 18 months for mild depression with no change in dosage or medication. The minimum is six months, I was told. And my HIMS-AME says I have a strong case. But is he right? And about how long does it take the FAA to make these kinds of decisions once they receive all of my paperwork (I’ve found a myriad of answers online to this question).

What does my hirability look like for the airlines? I imagine hiring a pilot with a special clearance might cost more in insurance and liability? I have no idea.

I’ve gotten numerous different responses for this one: Will this waiver process be a yearly ordeal? My neighbor, who is a corporate pilot, says no. I spoke with a regional airline pilot, and he said no. But I spoke with a cargo pilot and he said that they have someone with an SSRI waiver on their crew who has to get evaluated every year.

Now, I know this issue is case-by-case for the FAA. I’m not looking for any promises or to be deluded into thinking I can do this if there’s only a small chance everything will work out. To be clear: I have other career options. I just turned thirty, I’m financially stable, no wife, no kids, some time in the Army, and two Master’s degrees (both in English) in my pocket. But I was hooked the first time I went up in a Cessna 172 and would like to pursue this avenue, if it all possible. However, I’m only about $1200 into this process and can still back out, which, I think, now would be the time to do so if that is what needs to be done.

This post is my first. But I’ve been reading discussions on this forum for a long time and am really grateful for all the information and advice everyone on here provides. Any advice on this subject, whether it’s encouraging or cold and honest, I’ll appreciate it.

Ryan,

The reason you keep coming upon different answers to your question is because no 2 waivers are exactly alike. We (and the people you’ve spoken with) are pilots not AMEs and can only offer anecdotal info based on our experience or worse “some guy we know”. If your AME says you should be ok then you should, they have no reason to lie. You also need to recognize there’s this little thing called COVID-19 going on. The FAA has been giving leaves and they’re working at limited staffing. While your medical is a huge deal to you, it’s not for them and 6mos is not that long. Once (if) it gets issued you’ll probably just need a letter from your treating physician stating your condition is unchanged but again no 2 cases are identical.

As for the airlines you either have a First Class or you don’t. Their insurance rates have zero to do with your medical.

All anyone can do is give you their experience but again that was their’s and your’s is a whole other case. I’d recommend patience. Not that long ago it would have been an immediate no so you’re actually fortunate.

Adam

I had a different issue, but from my own experience with the FAA, they’ve been pretty quick to respond, even during COVID. I think at the longest they took about 3 weeks to get back to me. Also I recommend getting an AOPA membership and talking to them about your issue, they can help you through the process and tell you what to expect.

Ryan,

Any depression related issues raise giant red flags with the FAA and with AMEs. I would expect this to be a lengthy process. Work with your doctor and HIMS doctor, that is all you can do.

If you are able to obtain a first class medical, you should not have any issues with the airlines.

Chris

Adam, John, and Chris,
I appreciate the advice and the answers to my questions. It was all very helpful. Being locked down in quarantine for a few months and this process being as thorough as it is (which, I know, is important to not just my safety but everyone’s; and I’m grateful that a waiver exists at all)–I’m just ready to get to work and fly. I’ll keep (im)patiently moving forward and working with my HIMS doctor.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Ryan,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris