Starting ATP With a Private License

Hey everybody,

I’m looking into starting flight school after I finish my undergraduate degree next May. I have found that it would be cheaper for me to get my private license at a local airport and then join ATP instead of going through the entire ATP program from zero time.

Would me having my private license either increase or decrease my changes of getting accepted into ATP? Or would it have any effect at all? Just trying to figure out the different options before I commit to anything.

Thanks!

Alden,

No difference. How would it be cheaper?

Tory

Tory,

I saw on the ATP website where it would be $17,000 cheaper to start ATP if you already have your private license. The local schools I have talked with have shown that it would only cost around $10,00 (plus exam fees) to get my private license. I would also be able to live at home while getting my private license instead of having to pay for housing at the ATP location that I’m looking at attending.

This is just going off of things that I’ve gathered talking to some local schools. I’m still very new to everything and just trying to figure out the best option for me.

Thank you!

1 Like

Ok but just so you know that the school is likely quoting you the price based on FAA minimums and not national averages. Most people need more flight time than the minimum before they take they private pilot check ride. Also, you’ll need a PPL plus 78+ hours total time. So, factor that in to get a more accurate estimate. Lastly, getting your PPL at a local school could end up costing more depending on your performance, aircraft availability, instructor availability, how often you’re flying per week, etc. Some have been able to get their PPL and 78+ hours under $17000, but they are the exception to the rule.

If you’re going to do it, don’t do it for that reason alone, because the prices the schools quote are not guaranteed. Do it because it’s what is best for you. Maybe you’re not sure if flying professionally is the right fit for you? So, you just want to start with your PPL to feel things out? Or maybe you can’t commit to training full time yet? Or maybe you think you’ll need more time for the material to “sink in?”

All three of us mentors received our PPLs outside of ATP. We all had our reasons why. It is what it is. At least now you will be making a more informed decision than we did.

Tory

3 Likes

Tory,

Oh wow! Thank you so much for all the information. It is definitely something I will have to think about in more depth. I don’t want to bother you, I’m just trying to figure out what is going to be the most efficient way (time and money) to get my licenses and ratings.

This has helped me out a lot!

Alden,

I’ve been getting my private license on the side, and even with plane rental rates as low as $105-$115 per hour, I still have dished out around $13,000 (Including medical exams, headset, and other flight equipment) and I have yet to complete my checkride (scheduled 16 October!).

Between my ships schedule, and other personal events it has extended my training time substatially. Not only that, but my instructor when I was ready to start seriously prepping for the checkride he said, “I’ll be back in a month and a half, I’m going on vacation.” (Thus causing me to switch instructors)

My point is, I wish I would have gone directly to ATP because I believe the training would have been more effective, and the instructors more reliable. Had I not been waiting to leave the NAVY, I would give myself three months at my current job while I make a savings cushion and take the writtens, and then jump right in. Hopefully this helps, and good luck in all your endeavors!

3 Likes

I hope I don’t sound bothered. I’m anything but bothered. How could I be? I just finished my last flight until November!

I’m here to help. Ask whatever you’d like.

Tory

1 Like

Joshua,

Thanks for the reply! It sure sounds like you have been busy. That is one thing I have considered doing after graduation is going to work for just a couple months with my degree while living at home to save up some money. As of right now I won’t have any student debt after graduation so I’m trying to take on the least amount of loans that I possibly can.

Good luck on your upcoming checkride!

1 Like

I’m chiming in in case anyone else reads this thread…it’s said a few other places on this web forum, often by the moderators - but it is absolutely true. I want to 100% reinforce that any “savings” you think you’ll find at your local school is almost certainly an illusion.

I’m flying 1 to 2 times a week (I work full-time). The weeks I fly twice I do okay and make some forward movement in my training, however if I fly only once I seem to just barely maintain what I had achieved the week before. I swear, this Sunday (a weekend I only got one flight in) I went backwards, it was embarrassing and mildly depressing.

Like the original poster seems to be, I’m also locked into the Navy. I decided I’d do my PPL almost exclusively because I’m passionate about flying and may be almost a year from being able to leave my current position; but it’s really not economically efficient. ATP could get me there in a locked-on fashion for about the same price, maybe a little less.

Bottom Line: If you want to do a few familiarization flights to keep your level of excitement up while waiting to start ATP…do it, other than that, save that $1,500-$2,000/month you’d spend on doing a PPL at your local flight school and take that cash with you to live off of at ATP.

My $0.02.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Just figured I’d give everyone a quick update on things. After talking with my parents I believe I’m going to work and live at home for about 2 months after graduation next May. I plan on saving enough money to be able to pay for all of my housing and all of the exam/instructor fees. This will allow me to only take out a loan for the actual cost of flight school and nothing else.

Thank you to everyone who commented with their personal experiences!

Just be aware that you’re actually losing money in the grand scheme by waiting. Even if you take out an extra 10k (and say you end up paying back 15k with interest), that’s 2 months off the end of your career you miss out on at about 30k/month. So now you saved 15k and missed out on 60k, meaning a loss of 45k. These are obviously rough estimates but hopefully makes sense. I’d just take out the extra bit in a loan and get started ASAP if I were you. Good luck :+1:t3:

1 Like