Starting out pilot advice

Well oddly enough things didn’t really turn out like I expected them too. About six months ago I walked away with a fresh commercial license and had every intention of getting my CFI but as fate would have it all training fees for CFI went from around 8 grand to about 11 grand plus dpe fee so let’s just say 12 grand. I didn’t have the money for it but I had enough to get a decent amount of 182 time. With that said time I was able to pick up a skydiving gig. I know everyone pushes hard for CFI and cfii (for good reason might I add) but realistically if I build time doing this and move on to bigger and better things will I be missing out on valuable experience? If I decided to stick with this for my time building is there anything I can do to keep my knowledge fresh?

Chandler,

In truth it’s going to be tough. Skydivers don’t jump when it’s IFR and that’s a problem. Everyone is jumping for joy these days about the pilot shortage and the fact is once you hit 1500hrs you will be hired (unless you’ve got some real issues).

Getting hired these days is easy. What hasn’t changed is you have to get through training or you’ll have nothing but a good story about how you were almost an airline pilot. The airlines expect you to show up day one as a proficient instrument pilot. I often tell the story of my sim partner when I was hired at a Regional. Great guy, great attitude and a really good stick. Problem was he had been building his hours flying scenic tours. Scenic tours don’t fly in IMC, ever and this poor guy’s skills were gone. He tried, busted his butt, but in the end, to quote our instructor “I’m sorry but the airlines can’t train you for your instrument rating”.

What you can do (if you don’t have your CFI) is force yourself to fly in the soup (or at least go with a buddy and use a hood). Flying skills are perishable and if you don’t use them you will lose them.

Adam

1 Like

Chandler,

I think it is fine to go the route you are going, but try to move into something that involves IFR flying as soon as possible. 1,250 hours of flying skydivers is not going to help your instrument skills in any way at all. Use this job as a stepping stone to something more.

Chris

1 Like

Chandler,

Aerial photography or surveying might be a good next gig for you. It’s still done in VFR conditions but you’re filing IFR flight plans. Some companies even offer new rating training on the side on off days at a discounted rate. Maybe you can still get your CFI down the road.

Hannah

1 Like

Thank you Adam I will do my best to shoot approaches and stay current. As always thank you for the advice!

I will have to look into it. Thank you Hannah!

I will be sure to look into it. Thank you Chris!