The path less traveled on

Ok so as of a week ago I am officially a commercial pilot. I am starting training for CFI in a couple days. Although I will no doubt get my CFI are there any other jobs out there for starting off pilots? I think I will find instructing rewarding but as I look around I don’t see any jobs but CFI for starting out pilots. Just curious if anyone skipped the CFI route and did something different?

1 Like

Chandler,

There are jobs out there other than instructing. What jobs are available to you will largely depend on how many hours you have and what ratings (ME, etc). As a newly mounted Comm Pilot you’re somewhat of a risk as far as the insurance companies are concerned.

Common alternatives are banner towing, traffic watch, powerline inspection, aerial surveying and crop dusting. It’s really up to you to do some research as what might be available in your area

Adam

2 Likes

Welcome back, Chandler!

As Adam mentioned there are other low-time flying jobs about there. I want to emphasize though that flight instructing really is the best way to build your time because it forces you to really hone in on your knowledge and skills, VFR and IFR. My only advice is if you do end up finding an alternative means to building time that you pay close attention to the type of flying involved and if it will fulfill all of the ATP certificate minimums. The rest is on you to keep your knowledge where it needs to be for when it’s time to start regional new hire training.

Tory

2 Likes

Absolutely, I would like to instruct and honestly the best pilots are made from it. Just looking for something to help get the hours up. Thank you for your time!

Thanks Adam!

Chandler,
Just to add another often low time single engine pilot job- skydiving. It’s very repetitive (trips up and down) and all VFR flying. It could be a means to add some flight hours but it definitely shouldn’t be your primary means of time building. Keeping that instrument knowledge current should be your biggest priority when filtering through jobs. Often being a CFII renders the best results and airlines love to see it.
-Hannah

1 Like

Hello Hannah,
As I stated before I plan on getting the CFI and the the double I when I get a little momentum with instructing. That being said I would love to work at a DZ and build time I have been calling drop zones all over North Carolina with no success. It seems the minimum for most insurance company’s is now 500 so still a little gap from 250-500. If you have any suggestions for getting in I am all ears!

Chandler,
Maybe you should plan on using your CFI for your primary time build. Then when you get those 500 hours and if you have any extra time left in your schedule and you want to pick up extra hours flying skydivers you could.
-Hannah