Starting training late and how it affects your pilot career

I’m 31 and have always wanted to become a pilot. I did some training in the past but didn’t finish. I come from the engineering industry and I don’t see myself belonging there.
My question is, if I start from scratch at 31 or 32, will I still have the opportunity to eventually become a senior captain and fly internationally?

Marcus,

33 is actually the average age when most airline pilots start training. At 32 you’ll have plenty of years to achieve all your goals.

Adam

Marcus,

There is a post in the FAQ section that addresses this question, please give that a read. Short answer is yes, but you will never be in the top seniority of a major airline, those positions belong to the guys and gals that got hired in their early twenties.

Chris

Marcus,

While my esteemed colleague Chris is correct that you’ll never be at the very top of the seniority list, that doesn’t mean you won’t be a widebody Capt flying international (or anywhere else). It simply means you won’t be the guy who flies the widebody around the world AND gets every weekend and Christmas off nor will you see a #1 next to your name on the seniority list.

Most of us won’t and that’s fine.

Adam

Marcus,

If you start at 32, you could be at a regional or LCC at 34 and with any luck, a legacy by 36. That still leaves 29 years of seniority advancement. You could fly any airframe you like from the right seat and probably widebody left seat closer to the end of your time. As Adam said, you just won’t be the most senior in the pack but it’s doable.

Hannah

Marcus,

Since your original post, have you reached out to ATP in regard to enrollment process, to see about getting more information firsthand?

Seems to me that you are younger than the average age of the “student pilot.”

Brady