The Opportunities Offered by ATP

Hello to all pilot mentors and forum users,

After gaining much knowledge through this site and finding the answers to many of the questions I have had I feel it best to post a specific question, hoping that both me and others in similar shoes can gain additional knowledge and insight in making our own career decisions. I am currently a military member, eligible to leave the service late next summer. I just completed my BA, will be finishing my PPL shortly (8hrs), and am currently weighing my options between pursuing flight training with the remainder of my time in the service or attend ATP next year. For arguments sake, I would be utilizing the 6 month ATP program (PPL + 80hrs).

I have located a part 141 flight school an hour and fifteen minutes from where I am currently stationed in the north Florida area, that quoted me at $40,000 for their version of an airline pilot program, one that would leave me with my CPL, CFI, CFII & MEI. Leveraging post 911 GI Bill benefits and an additional scholarship, my end cost would be roughly $23,000.
Notable dynamics - This training would have to take place after work on weekdays (I can typically leave work by four, start training safely by 5:30pm) and on weekends, with the goal of finishing the program by next August. We have a large family with younger children, the time commitment would be doable but apparent. I have seen the argument made that the roughly $13,000 of post 911 GI Bill benefits used for flight training is better used towards additional education considering the housing allowance that is awarded when pursuing schooling.

The other option is to leave the service next August and begin school at the ATP location that allows me ample time to study and make use of every minute spent in this program, and also provide for my family. ATP has a $59,000 price tag, that gets reduced an end cost of $44,000 after tuition reimbursement and an additional scholarship.
Notable dynamics - Training would be full time, could move to a location with a 30-45 minute commute vice an hour and fifteen minutes.

My biggest question, given the two options presented, is a comparison between an intensive, all spare time program for the next year while still in the service but for a lower price tag and with a possibly less structured student system and no airline partnerships (not ATP), or a program that is also extensive but will be my only focus and “job” if you will while enrolled that offers a structured student system and airline partnership, but for a higher price tag (ATP).

While analyzing the two extensively I am trying to weigh my options and make the best decision, and often come back to ATP as one that seems to get the job done and provide a clear path forward, albeit for a higher investment. I am very interested to hear anyone willing to comments’ opinion on the options presented, whether ATP would be worth the extra investment considering all details listed.

Thank you all,

Erik

Erik,

That sounds like a tough decision, two very different programs and paths to go down, each with their own benefits. Now, this website is clearly sponsored by ATP, but the reason that the mentors are on here is because we believe in their program. We are not salesman, but we do share our advice.

I like the idea of fast track training, when flying airplanes is the only thing one is doing, the retention is much higher than when trying to balance work, home life, and flying. I would also question the price tag offered by the part 141 school. Are they quoting FAA minimum hours, or the actual time that will be needed to get the licenses?

Chris

Erik,

I appreciate your service and you sound like a bright guy. Here’s my problem with your “part-time” training plan. You’re learning to fly an airplane not taking a course in accounting. This is serious stuff and a serious career. Just because there’s enough hours in the day to “squeeze in” work and flight training doesn’t mean that’s the way to go. You’re working on your Private which is great but there’s a reason why the majority of the people in this country who start flight training never get passed their Private. Private pilot training is easy and it’s the basics. The slope gets steeper and steeper after this and I frankly would not want to be shooting approaches after working a full day of whatever work it is you do. While earning your BA is a great accomplishment it’s all mental. Flying is not. While studying for your BA if you got tired you could simply close the book. When you’re flying you can’t just pull over and close you eyes for a minute. Factor in it’s summer and yes the days are still long but soon it’ll be winter and the sun will be setting by 5:30 or earlier. Do you plan on doing all your training until the Spring at night because that’s not going to work either.

This is not a pitch for ATP but you don’t (or shouldn’t) simply want to check the boxes on your way to a career. Hopefully you want to be a good and safe pilot. Trying to keep too many plates in the air some are bound to fall. Flight training is not to be taken lightly.

Adam

Thanks for the input Chris,

I do agree with the benefits of training being ones’ only focus. In the time I have spent towards my PPL, flying after a long workday can prove not beneficial if trying to maximize ones’ investment. I want to say the school was quoting FAA minimum hours from the numbers they gave me.

Thanks again!

Erik

Thanks for the input Adam,

I would agree, that as I have pursued my PPL flying after work has not been the most beneficial use of time. Not that it can’t be done, but does take away from the ability to grasp/retain everything. I appreciate the input on being thorough in the pursuit of flight training, I’m taking a serious look at all options and am still very much looking at ATP to be the minimal interruptions method to attain my training. Getting into this career field is a dream of mine and taking the best method possible is definitely the focus. At times I do look at the payment amounts to fund the school as slightly daunting, not from a long-term standpoint but from an instructing before I get a regional job standpoint, but staying positive!

Thanks again!

Erik

Anytime, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris