Time working vs. time at home

I’m 19 years old and a college student wanting to become a commercial pilot for my career. One question I have is, how much do you work in a week and how much time a week do you get to spend at home with your family? Also, how many flights do you take in a shift? Do you sleep overnight before flying back home?

Jacob,

Pilot’s schedules vary greatly based on seniority, airline operations, aircraft and other factors. As you gain seniority you’ll have more control over your schedule. In the beginning you’ll usually have the minimum amount of days off in a month (typically around 12). Those days may be in blocks of 1, 2, 3, 4 or more days but since most pilots like to be home the shorter trips generally go senior. We have trips not shits but again that can vary greatly. You could have a single flight or as many as 8 in a day. All your trips will end in your base so you’ll be home when your done IF you live in base. If you commute and finish late then you’re sleeping away.

I recommend you take a look at the schedule section of the forum. You can see the variety of flying and schedules of a few of us. Bare in mind with the reduction in flying going on you should look back further for more typical schedules.

Adam

Oh okay. So if I live an hour at most away from base would I be able to come home each night (or day if my flights are through the night) and sleep?

Another question, when starting out flying would I most likely have to take night trips? And if so, how long would that last before I can choose day trips?

Jacob,

As I said airline trips are generally 2,3,4 or more days and no you will not be coming home until that trip is over. You should plan on being away from home half the month at least.

Again I encourage you to check the schedule section.

Adam

Okay thank you

Jacob,

Please look at our schedules section as there is a wealth of information to be found there.

Keep in mind though that airline pilots, by definition, travel the world. You will be spending plenty of nights on the road during your career, it is simply the nature of the job.

Chris

I was able to take a look at some of the schedules and it was very helpful. I love to travel and, besides the thrill of manning an aircraft from takeoff to landing, travel is one of the reasons I became interested in this career. Another question for you, would my future family (when I get to that point later on in life) have the option of following me on a trip occasionally, free of cost or at a discount?

Jacob,

Your family can definitely travel with you at no or little cost. The thing to keep in mind is family travel is based on available seats so you have to make certain there are plenty.

While I’m sure your wife and kids would really enjoy going with you someplace wonderful. When you’re pushing off the gate and they’re faces are pressed agaisnt the glass the thrill might disappear.

Adam

Okay, thank you.

Jacob,

I have taken my wife on several trips with me. Generally it works out well, but it is always good to have a backup plan in case they don’t get on the flight.

Chris

Oh okay. I’m definitely happy to hear that, thank you.

Jacob,

Anytime, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris