Total time vs turbine time

Hello. I have been researching minimum hiring requirements, and was wondering what the difference is between total time, and turbine time? I know it’s probably a dumb question, but I’m a bit confused as I’ve seen the term “turbine time” several times now and I’m not entirely sure what that means.
Thanks for your help!

Julian,

“Total time” is exactly that, total time spent flying airplanes. “Turbine time” is time spent flying airplanes that are turbine powered, as opposed to being powered by a reciprocating engine. Turbine means jet, turbo-prop or turbo-fan. These types of engines are usually only found on larger, more complex airplanes, while smaller, training type airplanes use reciprocating engines.

You will not be expected to have any turbine time when applying for the regionals, you will absolutely need it when applying for the majors.

Chris

Thank you Chris!
Also, I was reading about a flight school up in my area. It’s a small school, but it is FAA certified and is part 61. I was thinking of doing this, and then possibly becoming a flight instructor there to build hours. Would this be a satisfactory way to start at the Regionals?

Julian,

Please take a look at the FAQ section as most of your questions are addressed there.

Chris

Hi mentors,

I have a question about this topic as well. If all goes as planned, I will start my regional airline career next spring with ~2800 hours, all in light piston airplanes. Upon looking down the road to major airline applications in several years, of course the experience gained by turbine PIC time is the most valuable to make one competitive. However, do you believe the extra 1300 hours (above ATP minimums) of piston time will present any further value to the majors? Or just something in the “fun facts” column? :smile:

Thanks!
Greg

Greg,

Beyond it contributing to your total time, the extra piston time will not do anything to help you. There was a time when having thousands of hours of piston time was the norm, plenty of pilots still do when they join the airlines.

Chris

That is what I suspected, thank you Chris for confirming.

Greg