Transition out of the Military

Good Evening,

I plan to transition out of the military in about a few years. The biggest concern I have is the ability to afford this while still trying to support my family. The secondary concern is how quickly I am able to use this new license to be able to provide for my family. The closest location to me right now is STL.

Julio,

Your biggest concerns are actually shared by most. If you spend some time browsing this forum you’ll see the financial aspect is the number one concern most people have.

The majority of people take a loan for the training plus extra money for living expenses. While these may seem a little daunting, with the current bonuses being offered and salaries those loans get paid off very quickly.

As for getting paid, as soon as you complete your training you can begin to work as an instructor (or other low time pilot job) until you build the required hours to fly for an airline (that usually takes about 1.5yrs).

Adam

Thank you for that prompt response. Is that 1.5 years included with the 7 months of training?

It’s usually after training. I took a different route. My timeline was
ATP ACPP (June 27,2020-09/03/2021)
Family circumstances (09/2021-03/2022)
CFI (03/2022-07/2022)
Pipeline pilot (07/2022-present)

I just accepted a CJO for an FO position with Skywest and should reach my hours at the beginning of May. So all in all it took me basically 3 years from 0-1500 but I also had 6 months where I wasn’t able to fly. Hope this helps.

1 Like

That’s after training. The whole process from zero time to the airlines is approx 2-2.5yrs. There are of course no guarantees.

Adam

1 Like