United Seniority

Hello all,
Firstly I have been reading through this page and have done a lot of research planning for my future. Now I wanna look YEARS into the future (because this takes a long time) and have to ask how long can an upgrade to captain be at UAL? I was on airline pilot central and saw that the most junior ex ual captain (not continental) was hired in 99, does this have to do with the fact that United stopped hiring after 9/11 and took them about 6 years to start hiring again, or does it take 20 years to upgrade? Another thing is that im from Denver and want to live here (I love this city), how long can I a) Be on reserve and B) Get the Denver base as captain in united.
Thank you for your time,help and answers,
Martin

Martin,

That is a very tough question to answer as so much can change and because each pilot base is so different in terms of seniority.

But, yes, the reason for the '99 hire date is because UAL furloughed so many pilots in the early 2000s. I am a 2007 hire at Continental and have been a Captain for about a year. That being said, I can only hold Captain in EWR and SFO. A senior city like DEN would take many more years.

You can stay on reserve as long as you like, most people prefer to hold lines, so it shouldn’t be an issue. I honestly have no idea how long it would take you to hold Captain there, but suffice it to say that you are not the only one who loves Denver, so it would take a good many years.

Chris

1 Like

Martin,

Chris is kind and optimistic. If you read through some of the recent posts a recent ATP grad who was well on his way just got slightly sidelined when his Regional closed their doors. While I understand and appreciate your desire to have some plan for the future you need to know NOTHING in this industry is guaranteed. The majority of people who start flying lessons never get their Private licenses let alone make it to an airline. First you need to get trained and do well. Then you need to build time, get hired by a Regional then maybe United. You want to know how long you upgrade to Capt at UA? Chris has done extremely well in his career and it took him over 10yrs. and as he said that’s at a junior base. I know good pilots who have been trying to get hired by a Major for over 10yrs and are yet to get the call.

I’m not trying to be negative but being a Capt at a legacy carrier is the pinnacle of this career and you’ve got a very long way to go. I’d recommend you start flying first and then worry about where you’ll end up.

Adam

2 Likes

Thank you both for your answers, I was just looking for a small insight into the future(if I get there) and im aware this could take me more than 20 years if not more. I really like this page because you guys give realistic advice and targets,
Once again thank you,
Martin

Martin,

Anytime. I think it is always wise to have some idea of what the future may hold.

Chris

2 Likes

Is there a United equivalent to widgetseniority.com? I’m curious to know what the seniority is at certain bases, specifically LAX. Thank you in advance.

Matt,

I have never heard of widget seniority and to be honest it looks like a bogus website. When it comes to base-specific seniority it changes day-to-day. Plus, knowing what it is at any given moment won’t have any bearing on your chances until it’s time for you to bid.

Tory

Matt,
Some airlines, like Skywest, have their base seniority posted online. It shows the most jr award to a specific base and their hire date. I’m not sure if United has any such resource but regardless, so much can change and will change. It’s really not worth worrying about until you’re much closer to being there.
-Hannah