Veterans and Using the GI Bill

Hi all. I’m currently in the research phase of flight programs and all that is entailed. I’m looking to make a major career change at the age of 30.I was in the Navy for six years as a nurse and now work as a civilian ER nurse. I have zero flight experience other than a family of pilots. I need some guidance on using the GI Bill and would love to hear from others that have. I have 100% to use. My husband is still active duty and I’m limited to where i live. We currently live in San Diego and will for two more years. Love to hear from y’all.

ATP does not accept the GI bill because it’s a part 61 program. Part 141 college programs do accept GI bill. ATP is a great fast paced option if you can handle the private loan and full time schedule. Another recent post went over these pros/cons.

If you search this site for “gi bill”and other places like aviation career mentorship on fb you will find others with the same question and similar answers. Rtag nation on Facebook is all vets who’ve transitioned to aviation. They even host an event for recruiting with many airlines.

Other resources and mentorship include, Women in Aviation, The 99s, FAST (female pilots sticking together), and AOPA.

Keep asking questions,
Chris F

Julia,

There are 141 programs that your benefits will cover, however the VA sets yearly limits. That means you’ll be forced to drag your training out over years when you could potentially be done in months. While I understand the desire to have your training covered, understand that pilots have a finite number of years we can fly. Senior airline Capts earn over $450k year and every year you wait is literally hundreds of thousands in lost earnings, not to mention seniority, which governs every thing we do at the airlines.

We’re currently experiencing the greatest pilot shortage in history and the airlines are literally fighting over bodies. While that’s forecasted to continue, no one can say for certain how long. Sooner is always better.

Finally ATP has been training pilots for over 35yrs and has placed over 1200 pilots with the airlines in the last 12mos alone.

This is an investment in your career and where you train matters.

Adam