Prior Military/Veterans

Hey, so I’m in the planning phase of this entire journey. I’m at the point where I have 7 days left on active duty and this Wednesday heading back to Tampa. So my question is too the veterans on using the GI Bill. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for yalls time.

I used the GI Bill through Liberty to get my ratings while on active duty but it’s a long process. The classes run on a college semester schedule and the GI Bill is limited to how much it pays out every year towards flight training. Your best bet, if you want to use the GI Bill, is to find a local college that offers the Yellow Ribbon program and then more funds will be available each academic year. It will take a couple years to get your CFI if you completely fund it through the GI Bill.

I’ve seen some folks use the GI Bill and Federal student loans to get their ratings faster but that’s up to you.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. I can tell you that the training won’t be as structured as ATP and it will depend on the local flight school that you go through.

Jacob,

While I’m not a vet there have been many on this forum and living in Hawaii I fly with quite a few. Obviously I understand the attraction of using your benefits for flight training. The problem as Clint points out is it can be a very lengthy process as the VA will only allow you spend so much per year.

Particularly since you’re not fresh out of school you really don’t want to waste a whole lot of time and would be much better served going with an accelerated program like ATPs. While you couldn’t use your benefits (other than for checkride fees), senior airline pilots earn over $350k and that would be money you’d be forfeiting every year you delay. You would also still be able to use you benefits towards a degree if you don’t already have one.

Maybe give it some thought.

Adam