Vision Requirements

Hello!

I’ve wanted to be a pilot since I was about 10. My older brother has flown in the Navy for almost 20 years, so most of my knowledge about what it took to be a pilot was taken from his experience. Given that the military (at least at that time, I don’t know if things have changed) requires perfect 20/20 vision un-corrected, I assumed that civilian pilot requirements would be the same or at least very close. Because of that, I never really considered flying as a career option because I don’t have perfect vision.

Recently, I decided to do more research on it as I had a “I don’t know what to do with my life” moment and discovered becoming a pilot may actually be possible. From my research, while I would not be able to qualify for a Class 1 medical right now (right eye is 20/20, left eye corrects to about 20/40), I’ve read about certain waivers you can get if you pass certain flight tests. Does anyone have experience, either their own or a fellow pilot’s, with getting their Class 1 through that process? I just want to know if becoming a commercial pilot would even be possible before I start looking too closely at flight school options.

Thanks!!

Jacob,

First and foremost, you need to start with an AME. An AME will guide you through the process based on your unique situation. According to this, looks like you’ll be fine:
https://www.aviationmedicine.com/article/vision-and-faa-standards/

Tory

Jacob,

Starting with an AME is definitely your first stop. The road to getting approved with corrected 20/40 vision can be a bit of a rough one, but I would encourage you to go for the medical exam first and just take the eye exam. Who knows, you might just pass it.

Chris