What are my chances of getting hired by a regional?

Hello my name is James I am 25 highschool dropout but I did obtain my GED. Still living at home working a full-time job. What are my chances of getting hired by a regional if I obtained the pilot licenses required and all flight time needed with just a GED? Based on my research I can see they require a degree of some sort to qualify. Would my educational mishaps disqualify me from getting a job?

James,

Not sure where you’ve been looking or researching? But while Major airlines require a degree, the Regionals do not and most don’t mention a HS diploma either. The Regionals are desperate for pilots and if you earn the licenses, ratings and build the time, provided you have no other bad blemishes on your record (DUIs, criminal record, etc) you will have no problem getting hired.

I do have to say flight training is considerably more difficult than HS.

Adam

James,

I do not see the GED being a major stumbling block at the regional level, but you will probably be asked about it. I would have a good, true, explanation ready about why you dropped out and what you learned from that.

For the majors, you will need to have a college degree, so that should nullify talking about high school at all.

Chris

Get. Your. College. Degree. The pilot shortage will be lasting 20 years or more assuming automation and single-pilot cockpits don’t catch up before then, and that likely won’t even make it much shorter. There ARE colleges that will take you on with a GED. Good schools, even. Community colleges that are inexpensive and will prepare you for a four year school. What you learn in college is how to learn. It’s worth it, so long as you don’t drown yourself in debt. While you’re young and have the energy do what you have to get that paper.

1 Like