What happens if You Screw-up

Just wondering what happens if you screw-up as a pilot. I’m not talking about HR issues or stupid decisions like drinking and flying, but honest mistakes. I’m assuming since pilots are human, it’s just a matter of time before something is missed or a lapse of judgment occurs. Is the airline industry a one-and-done industry? No second chances? No “accident forgiveness” like with an auto insurance policy? I used to work loss prevention at Home Depot back in the day and we had a saying that you sign your job offer and pink slip at the same time because it was just a matter of time before you would apprehend a customer that wasn’t actually shoplifting. So, just wondering how the culture works in the airlines when it comes to this.

Thx!

Michael,

Many years ago when I started flying professionally I started a quest to fly the perfect flight. It’s not that I was making big mistakes but on virtually every flight I’d miss something or make a some small error. I’d like to think at some point during my career I’ve had the perfect leg but honestly I can’t swear that I have.

There’s a concept in aviation called the “inevitability of human error”. We’re humans and despite our best efforts we will and often do err. That btw is the number one reason there are 2 pilots in the cockpit. I have no doubt that I could jump in a plane all by myself and successfully fly from point A to B. But in reality it’s not a good idea because again, we can, do and will “screw-up”.

So to answer your question the FAA (and mgmt for the most part) acknowledge this and have set up a number of safety programs. The most directly related to your question is the ASAP program (Aviation Safety Action Program) which basically says we know pilots make mistakes and we can all learn from mistakes made by others sooooo if you let us know, we won’t take any action (provided it wasn’t intentional, grossly negligent or substance related). So if/when you have a bad day at work all you need do is fill out a report and you’re protected. Obviously there’s alot more to it but in short when you “screw-up” in most cases you’ll be fine. If it’s bad you may need some additional training but the fact is the majority of pilots who get disciplined are so due to bad behavior.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you, Adam! Very helpful info. Good to know there’s a system in place to work through these sort of inevitable missteps that will happen. Makes it easier to swallow a $100k loan knowing I won’t be canned and black listed the first mistake I make.

Michael,

Adam covered the topic very well, but I will just add my experience to this. Like most pilots, I have made a few small errors here and there along the way. For every one I have been aware of, I have filled out an ASAP report and they have always been accepted by the company and the FAA, meaning no action was taken against me. The program also works as a positive catalyst for change. I have filled out ASAPs when I did not do anything wrong, but felt that something was unsafe or could be improved. An example of this is that many years ago, I noticed an error on an approach plate into San Diego. I filled out an ASAP report and the next day the FAA put out a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) correcting the error.

Chris

2 Likes

Michael,

It’s inevitable that you will make mistakes. All pilots do. The FAA decided to make a big culture change by providing non-punitive reporting programs like ASAP. Realizing mistakes happen but reporting them and learning from them is the best way to continue to strive towards a safer environment.

Each company also has their own versions of safety reporting programs. I think the over arching message of all these programs as about intent. Are you self aware enough to acknowledge a mistake happened and report it to hold yourself accountable to learn? If so, you don’t have anything to worry about.

Hannah

@Adam @Chris @Hannah , this is all great info. Thx for taking time to thoroughly answer this question!

Another program that hasn’t been mentioned is FOQA (Flight Operational Quality Assurance). Since the airplanes submit data back to the company (aka tattle tale :wink:) the company can literally Monday morning QB an entire flight. Again, the goal of this program is to learn, find trends, and to develop a safer operation.

Disciplinary action or retraining may be considered depending on what is discovered about a pilot’s intentions or knowledge, but it’s it’s primary objective is about safety, not to threaten pilot’s careers by analyzing our flaws under a microscope.

This is, however, another reason why submitting an ASAP, even if you’re not sure, is a good idea so that you have a chance to explain your side of the story that maybe a computer might not be able to detect.

Tory