What is Trim Air, Gasper, and a Duct system (along with Duct Pressure)?

Hi! Just a few questions. Maybe I can get a few answers. What is a duct pressure system (along with duct pressure)? I looked for answers online, and I still don’t get it. Secondly, what is a Gasper? And Third what is Trim Air? Thank you!

Patryk,

Interesting questions? Let’s see how my system knowledge is these days?

I’ve never actually heard of a “duct pressure system” but duct pressure is the amount of pressure at various points of the aircraft ducting. Different airplanes have different duct pressure requirements for certain functions (engine start, anti-ice, air conditioning and pressurization). Too little or too much duct pressure will generally cause a “caution” alert.

Gasper outlets are those little eyeball ducts you often see in the back of most commercial aircrafts. They’re there to keep the passengers comfy. Many planes will have a gasper boost fan to increase the airflow if needed. They will also provide recirculated or fresh air in the event of air conditioning failure.

Trim Air is hot engine air that is mixed with cold air coming from that airplanes a/c packs to control the temperature. Airplane air conditioners generally produce cold air at a fixed cold temperature. The trim air will introduce more or less hot engine air to raise or lower the temperature of the air coming into the aircraft cabin.

Or something like that?

Adam

1 Like