What path do I take? Thanks 🙏

Hello :wave:, first I would like to thank everybody that responded and took the time out of the day to help me

I’ll tell you some stuff about me and where I’m at right now so you can better assist me, my name is Ryan I’m 17 currently taking flight lessons and about to get my private in 1-2 months. When I turn 18 it gets real but I don’t know where to go, I mean I have two options in front of me ATP, or US aviation/Tarrant county community college flight program. This program is located 50mins away so I’ll have to probably live on campus, I’ve heard good and bad out of both programs but at the end of the day I want a 4 year degree and a ATP license in my hand so I can head for the majors my dream airlines are UPS/AMERICAN I would just like some input on what you would do in my scenario I believe tarrant county would be the best option for me but I want to make sure I’ve chosen right.

Thanks lots for taking the time to read this it means a lot to me and I appreciate all the help :slight_smile:

Ryan,

None of us are fans of aviation degree programs. The Majors neither desire or require one and should flying not work out for any reason you really have no backup.

As for flight schools Ive never heard of US Aviation (which doesn’t of course mean they’re bad). What I can tell you is ATP pioneered the Airline Pilot Training program over 35yrs ago and over 1200 ATP grads have been hired by the airlines in the last 12mos alone. Frankly there are alot of flight schools out there but if it were my career and my future (which it was) I’d go with a proven program.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks that really does make it quite easy for me, I have another question is it possible to do college and ATP training all at once? say I do night classes, I know the majors prefer a college degree and I want to make sure I get it out of the way when I’m young after I do 2 years at my local college I plan to take the rest of the 2 years online. Also if you have the time to check out US Aviation the reason I was thinking about it because it gets my 2 year degree which I’ll make it a 4 at a 4 year college and it gets me all my certifications just like ATP would and US aviation has the big partners like envoy mountain air United etc I appreciate your help

Ryan :slight_smile:

Ryan,

Going to school and ATP is highly DISCOURAGED. ATP compresses what usually takes years into just months. The program is accelerated and veto challenging. I appreciate your enthusiasm and desire to get done quickly but trying to combine the 2 is a mistake that could negatively impact your career.

As for US Aviation, with all due respect, this is your decision to make and you’re the one who needs to do the research. Back in the day I did mine and ATP was the clear choice for me.

My advice is get your 2yrs done, complete the 5mos ATP program, build your time, and complete your degree online with credit from your 2yr and your licenses and ratings in short order. That also brings up another point towards ATP. Let’s say you do your 2yrs with US Aviation. Then what? You’ll need to build time to get hired with a Regional. Will they give you an instructor position and if so how many hours a month will you build. ATP has 70 locations around the country and ALWAYS has open positions. While there’s no guarantee of a job, provided you do well you will be offered one. Every day on this forum pilots from around the country ask (or call ATP) is they can instruct for ATP? The answer is not if you weren’t a student here and their careers come to a screeching halt. That’s a question you need answered as part of your decision.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks you gave me a lot to think about

Ryan :slight_smile:

Ryan,

Adam answered your questions well. I’d echo the exact same advice. Let us know if you have any other questions to help you make your decision. We’re here to help!

Hannah

I am going to agree with my colleagues here. I have never heard of US Aviation, this does not make them bad, but it certainly does not make them good either. I would recommend that you go to two years of college, then go to ATP to get your licenses and then go back and finish your degree while you are flying for the airlines. This is the most efficient path and helps you to get that degree you speak of.

1 Like

Thanks lots :pray:

Yup I appreciate it atp is where I’m headed definitely I have a question as I’m about to get my private would it be smart to go ahead and get my instrument license part 61? At my local flight school or just wait and build time until I hit get to ATP flight school in 3 years from now if I were to go to college first, or would you recommend me get all my certs as soon as I’m out of high school with ATP and then after that while I’m a cfi go to college? Is that balanced? I don’t know atp CFI hours and I would probably do night school at my local community college. Thanks for your time and dedication to helping people like me all of y’all are amazing :slight_smile:

Ryan,

ATP has 2 programs, one that takes you from zero time and one that starts with credit for your PPL but that’s it. If you get your IR on your own and still want to train with ATP, just know you’d have to repeat the instrument portion of the training.

As to your next steps there are many routes you can take and really only you know which is best for you. As a rule we generally recommend getting at least 2yrs of college first. When you leave HS you’re still in “school mode” and it’s just easier to bang the college out first. It also gives you some time to grow a little and gain some independence. ATPs program is highly accelerated and requires a large amount of self study and discipline.

With that in mind I suggest at least 2yrs of college, then ATP, instruct to build your time, then finish college online in short order with credit from your 2yrs and your licenses and ratings.

Ultimately it’s your decision and something you should discuss with your parents.

Adam

1 Like