What Percentage of grads get hired and what happens to those that do not?

I’m seriously considering a career change to Aviation at age 44. I’ve read quite a bit saying that is not too old, but is definitely not too young!

The topic title says it all: What percentage of ATP grads get hired at the regionals, and what happens to those that don’t get hired???

Obviously, I need some sense of assurance of employment opportunities prior to taking the plunge. I’ve read quit a bit about the pilot shortage, but need more information hereon.

Any insight is greatly appreciated in advance! -Gordon.

Gordon,

First and foremost there are no guarantees or assurances of anything. While this industry is experiencing a tremendous hiring boom the fact is not everyone who aspires to be a pilot is successful.

As for actual numbers there really aren’t any. While many pilots keep in touch with ATP after they complete their training, many do not. What I can tell you is over 600 of ATPs students were hired by Regionals over the last 12mos alone and they have been for over 30yrs.

Adam

Gordon,

ATP is not able to keep track of all graduates as not everybody reports back as to where they are and what they are doing. Just like my college has zero idea of what I am doing now.

I can tell you that the vast majority of ATP graduates end up flying for the airlines. Those that do not can end up doing all sorts of things, from working for the FAA, flying charter, to administrative positions.

Chris

Chris and Adam, thank you both so much for the replies. That information is definitely useful.

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Gordon,

This is a great question. I’m new the forum and was about to ask the exact same question before coming across your post! That is the biggest concern that I have when I think about flight school. I’m currently a senior pursuing a marketing degree at a small liberal arts college. Although I do not plan on having any debt after graduation next May, my biggest fear is taking on a lot of debt and then not getting hired by a regional airline! After talking with a family friend who is currently a regional airline pilot, it seems to me that taking on some debt for flight school is worth the risk. He said that he has flown with many people who graduated from ATP in the past and they all seemed to have a really positive experience!

I’m hoping to get more involved with the forum so maybe we will be talking again soon!