What would you have done differently

Hello fellow aviators,

Aspiring pilot here just wanting to know if you could have done something different on your journey to becoming a pilot what would you have done? Thanks!

Darius,
I would have definitely started sooner. I wish I knew earlier in life I wanted to be a pilot so I could have been a bit farther along in my career by now. Time is seniority numbers and that can make the difference in a very comfortable career or one that is riddle by furloughs. Starting atp, I wish I had all my writtens done ahead of time. We talk about it a lot on the forum, but it really does help you focus all your attention on your training by getting those done.

-Hannah

1 Like

I wish I would have started a lot sooner. I started flight training back in 2009 and stopped for 9 years. Also, I was so focused on my training while at ATP, I somewhat forgot to pause from time to time, and just enjoy the experience. While I did complete my program ahead of the schedule, it really didn’t do me a whole lot of good in the long run.

1 Like

Darius,

I cannot really think of anything I would have done differently, with the exception of moving to where I was based once I got hired at an airline. I have set myself up to be a life-long commuter and I really wish I had not done that. But as far as training and career wise, I would not change a thing.

Chris

1 Like

Darius,

Aviation wise I definitely wish I would’ve started earlier as the others have said. Flying was my second career and had it been my first I’d be a senior 787 Capt by now with 20 days off a month earning double.

Adam

1 Like

Darius,

• Take all the written tests before the program
  • Follow the PTS/ACS during training so there are no surprises on the checkride
  • Gather the last 10 years of your work and address history if you don’t have that already. You’ll need it when you apply to the airlines

Tory

1 Like

Tory,

Thank you for your response. Can you list which exams are you referring to. Thank you!

-Darius

1 Like

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

1 Like

Tory,

You wrote ‘gather 10 years of medical history’. Do airlines review medical records going back 10 years as part of the interview process? Or is a conditional job offer predicated on a satisfactory review of medical history?

My first class medical is under a special issuance authorization. I contacted several regionals pre-covid, including Horizon, and was told I’d be eligible to interview as long as I hold a valid first class medical certificate, regardless of special issuance. But now I’m nervous after reading your suggestion for Darius. Please elaborate on the need to gather 10 years of medical history.

Thank you,
Sean

I’m sorry Sean. My bad. 10 years of work and address history.

No worries, Tory. Thanks for the clarification.

Sean

I wish I would’ve started sooner and gotten my ratings faster once I did start.