When should I do college?

Hi all, I’m a sophomore in high school at the moment and I am wondering, when should I go to college? I know it’s needed if I want to be a international FO or Captain, so should I do ATP first and then once I am a ATP flight instructor (and once I become a regional airline pilot) take a college night class? Or should I do college first and then apply for ATP? I’m quite worried about financials which is overall why I am asking, since ATPs Airline Career Program costs about 102k (without having a Private Pilots Licenses) and who knows how much college will be

Dillon,

We always recommend college first and frankly right now, due to demand, you might not even have a choice as ATP is looking for either a degree or your PPL for acceptance. Further getting your degree is simply a good idea.

College doesn’t need to be expensive. Community and State schools can be very reasonable. I suggest you start looking into some of them.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thank you for telling me about their recommendations and that community college will work. I got one last question though, is there any certain major I should get or will any major work?

Dillon

Dillon,

While the Majors want a degree, they don’t care as to your field of study. Study what you enjoy and use as a backup.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

The majors want a bachelors degree, correct? Or will an associates degree work too?

Dillon

Dillon,

If I was in your shoes, I would aim for the bachelors. Why put yourself short of others. The other thing to the bachelors degree is if something in aviation falls through, you have a backup plan. Find something that interests you and you could see yourself doing if you had to resort to the backup plan.

Brady

1 Like

What Brady said…

Adam

1 Like

Dillon,

Search for local community colleges to get your first two years of college done on a strict budget. From there you could complete your last two years paying instate tuition and apply for scholarships to help pay for the rest. Save where you can and have a plan for applying for financing after graduating, typically you’ll need a co-signer. Once you graduate, you’ll not only meet the program prerequisites but you’ll also be better equipped to handle the rigors of the program. Plus the degree you get can help you get a job and continue to make an income in case of future airline furloughs.

Hannah

1 Like

Thank you all for replying to my post, I appreciate you all for your information and intakes on this topic.

Dillon

Dillon,

Associates degrees are not actually degrees, think of them as “half way there” certificates. The field of study does not matter.

Chris

1 Like