When Should I Start?

Hello, I am a junior in high school right now and just wanted to know when I should start ATP flight training and when I should get my bachelors degree. My dream is to become a pilot for a major airline, but I need help deciding what path I should take

Also, I wanted to know how old I had to be in order to start flight school. Thank you.

Michael,

We always recommend college first. Most young people fresh out of HS still have a little growing to do. While you can get your student pilot license at 16 and start training, ATP flight school will not accept students out of HS without at least 2yr degree or equivalent work experience. It’s also a great idea to continue your education while you’re still in school mode.

Adam

Michael,

These are ATP’s Enrollment Requirements:
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/admission-prerequisites.html

A 4-year degree is required for the major airlines. For you, that’s a lot of years from now. Technically you have until then to finish your degree, but I don’t suggest postponing it. You might as well get your degree ASAP.

You don’t have to though. You could just get an associates for now and finish your 4-year degree online while at a regional. Many do this. You need to be honest with yourself if you choose this path. Will you have the discipline to hold yourself accountable?

Tory

Thank you guys so much I really appreciate the help!