When you got a degree

Tyler,

Good perspective. Thanks for posting.

Chris

1 Like

Hey Tyler,
I’m also a veteran I just recently separated form the Army and I’m interested in getting my commercial pilot license and as you know the gi bill doesn’t cover the costs of that for whatever reason. So I’ll most likely be looking into a loan to go through the school too so if you don’t mind me asking where did you get your loan through? And is it a reasonable interest rate and monthly payments? Also, (for anyone who wants to chime in) I’m guess an associates or bachelors in aviation is irrelevant to getting licensed as a pilot? Someone told me some schools will have a CPL program attached to it as a part of the semester but I’m not seeing that anywhere.

Also I just realized this thread was from 3 years ago but hopefully someone still sees this and I get a response

Aaron,

You don’t mention any flight experience so I’ll assume you have none which is fine. You cannot however simply get your CPL. It’s a process. You start with you PPL, then most get their Instrument rating, build the required time then get their CPLs.

It would be helpful to know your goals so we can better advise you.

Adam

Adam,

The school I talked to told me the CPL course would include getting my PPL, instrument rating and exams they said it should be a total of 9 months. Are the PPL and CPL usually separate courses or can I do them all in a row?
My end goal is to start my own air taxi business once I get my CPL and my own personal plane.

Aaron,

There are so many different ways to get all of your training done. Schools that focus on producing professional pilots generally offer all of the training as part of a package price.

I do question a school that is only saying that you need a Commercial license. While technically true, you will need to find a way to build hours and most people do that by becoming a flight instructor.

Check out his link for a list of questions you should be asking any flight school: Questions For Any Prospective Flight School - #14

Chris