Associates Degree... now what?

So I have just completed an an transfer associates degree. Now that I’ve decided becoming a pilot is what I want to do, I have planned to get my Bachelor’s degree in Professional Piloting so that one day I could become an airline pilot. But now the school says that it will still take four years to complete my bachelors and that I will most likely have to have a minor to help with being a full-time student. Is this what most pilots do? Do they get their bachelor’s degree before going to flight school or will the bachelors degree shorten the time at flight school with more ratings and such?

Gretchen,

First I’d encourage you to visit our FAQ section as we describe the various routes in detail. As a general rule we don’t recommend aviation degree programs. They’re expensive and really don’t do anything to help as the airlines don’t require or even prefer them. If you’ve got your Associates I’d say go straight to flight school, get trained, build your time, get hired and then complete your Bachelor’s while your building experience and seniority at a Regional. This is the most efficient route.

Adam

Gretchen,

I second what Adam said. Only thing I want to ask is what I ask every prospective student and that is have you flown a small plane before? If not, before you sign up for flight training, it is essential to take at least one intro flight to make sure that this is something you truly see yourself doing as a career.

Tory

Yes! I have taken an introductory flight and plan on completing my Private Pilot’s License before entering the ATP flight school. Also, when do the programs for ATP start? Do they have a semester-like system like colleges?

Gretchen,

They usually start at the beginning of each month but I’d check in light of the current environment.

I do want to ask why you want to get your PPL first?

Adam

It’s something I’ve thought about doing for a while during the time I finish college. Would you recommend going into the program without the PPL? I know for sure I still want to get some flight time in because it is something I enjoy and want to continue learning about with hands on experience.

Gretchen,

Totally your call but if you’ve concluded that ATP is a good program and you’re willing to commit the time, money and energy into, why wouldn’t you want that training from the beginning? There’s something called the law of primacy which states the things we learn first stick with us. Again if you’ve determined ATP is the best route for your career why not have consistency and the same level of instruction from the beginning.

Again your call but it’s something to think about. Also keep in mind to get credit for your PPL at ATP you need a minimum of 78hrs.

Adam

Gretchen,

To chime in here, I see no point at all in getting a pilot degree, it just simply is not needed and is not what most pilots have. Get a degree in something else that you like to have as a backup.

I know you want to fly now, but to me it does not make sense to pursue a PPL outside of ATP as it will inevitably take longer than you were told and cost more. Plus, when you get to ATP you will have to spend time learning the ATP way of doing things.

Chris

Gretchen,

ATP advertises class dates starting every Monday https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/enrollment.html

My thoughts on completing your PPL before ATP, I usually recommend that people only do that if they’re not sure if you want to pursue flying as a career. It gives them a chance to explore their interests before committing to a full time program. If that sounds like you, then I think that’s what you should do as that is what I did. Chris and Adam are right though. There will be things that you will have to unlearn if you get your PPL outside of ATP. Not a deal breaker. Just something to be aware of.

Tory

You all are so helpful! Thank you!

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.