Why ATP is better that others ?!

Okay guys I have couple questions that I did some research but didn’t find the right answer

1st What makes ATP better than other schools and what ATP offers on the Zero to ATPL program that others don’t ?

2nd why ATP costs 80k while other schools on programs like Zero to CFII cost 42k what’s that 38k difference is for ?

Thanks

1 Like

Ahmed,

Your first question is a fairly common, but good question and there are multiple threads on the subject and multiple answers. For me it’s one of the main reasons ATP is “better” is simply because they virtually created the Zero to Professional pilot program. Yes now there are many that have popped up recently but ATP has been doing it (and refining it) for over 30yrs. The program was created by airline pilots to train airline pilots and nothing else. While there’s currently a pilot shortage and everyone that meets the mins can get an interview, ATPs grads were getting hired when no one else was. Other reasons: largest and newest training fleet in the country, over 600 pilots placed with airlines over the past year alone, guaranteed instructor position and 38 locations around the country.

As for your second question that also applies to the first as a reason why we recommend ATP. The schools that quote ridiculously low prices base those on the bare FAA minimums for training vs realistic and actual times. Why quote a figure for 40hrs to complete the Private Pilot portion when the national average is 60hrs. The price ATP quotes is the price you’ll pay, period. Are their cheaper programs? I’m sure there are but even your $42K price is a considerable investment no? Personally I’d rather pay more for a proven program that consistently produces well trained pilots who get hired by than airline that gamble with less.

Adam

1 Like

Adam even though I 100% agree with your reply I do wonder if the extra 38k loan I’m putting on myself is worth it, I do agree the guaranteed instructor job is one of their unique offers but does it worth 38k.
To be fair I’ve read lots of good reviews about ATP even the ones who said they didn’t continue in their program or they did but they didn’t use it as a carrier.
I’ve been a military pilot back where I’m from flew for 4 years and I love flying and I don’t think that anything can be worse than flying in a warzone with the high possibility of getting shot at any moment but I’m trying to make a wise financial decision and I’m trying to collect as many information as possible to have a fair idea of the investment I’m putting myself in to.
Finally I wish more people share about their story from day one to the point they are in and give us newbies :crazy_face: advice of what we could do better, even though I read lots of the posts just to get a glimpse of the reality of the situation

I will say that as Adam said ATP has been doing this for decades and even though it might not be perfect, they definitely have accelerated flight training down packed more than other flight schools that have recently jumped on the bandwagon. I have moved from Pensacola, FL down to Daytona Beach recently and I have been doing a lot of research on different flight schools in the area ATP being one of them. Even though certain flight schools do have certain advantages over others, whether a flight school is better also can come down to your personal situation, preferences, or goals. For example, ATP does a hell of a job producing airline pilots in the fastest way possible. This would be great for someone who already has a Bachelors degree already or waiting to get it in the regionals. But on the other hand, if you are a college student or have a fulltime job then it might not be the best program for you. Now with that being said, there are plenty that stop working or going to college to fully dedicate themselves to this program but there are some that might not be willing to do so. Therefore another flight school might be more beneficial to them.

As for the other flight schools that advertise a cheaper price, I’d say proceed with caution and do more research and even call or visit to ask questions. A flight school’s website may advertise $40k for flight training however there is a possibility of hidden fees that you won’t find out about until you’re already invested into their program. I have a friend that flies at Riddle and after every flight he pays for flight time and instructor, which is normal, but then there is an extra $75 payment literally labeled “surcharge” which was never mentioned to him at all. What I love about ATP is that they are very upfront and transparent with their price. On their website there is a page where they show you in boldface numbers how much you are going to spend. They also clearly state what expenses that are not accounted for in the main price. The mentors and actual ATP students can cover this better than I can but hopefully my two cents can be somewhat beneficial to this discussion.

1 Like

Dara, what I’m saying is the difference is not going to be anywhere near $38k the others you say are quoting.

Adam

1 Like

You did put it perfectly, ATP is already on my top list even when I called them the guy I talked to was very nice and patient with me even I know I can be pretty annoying with my many questions lol and that was an excellent impression for me where as I’ve talked to other schools and they didn’t want to invest their time in me and kinda rude be sometimes.
I guess I’m going with ATP there are 4 things I need to do First is the financing however my vision is not as it used to be and I have to wear glasses so here my question do you think it’s wiser to do the Class A medical before hand to know if I’m physically suitable or not ? Because I’ve already talked to a doctor close by who is FAA approved and I asked for AME and I filed it as a student, As I’m getting familiar with the aviation rules in US is there anything extra you guys would like to advise me on before I apply for the financing?

Before I answer I just want to let you know that I am not an ATP student so I am not saying that this is an ATP requirement. With that being said, I would recommend you get your 1st class medical from the beginning. At Riddle, it is a requirement that you get your 1st class medical in order to fly with them. Reason being is because it would suck to spend all of that money getting your ratings and hours just to find out that you can’t hold a 1st class medical, which is required in the 121 world. Now you are sitting on 80k worth of debt that you need to pay off, and you can only depend on flight instructing, banner towing, flying parachute jumpers, etc., in order to pay it all off. So I said all of that to say that I would recommend getting your 1st class medical from the start but that’s just my opinion and reasoning behind it. I’m sure the mentors can give you a better answer on this.

1 Like

Dara,

ATP does require a First Class medical. As long as your vision is concerned as long as it’s correctable to 20/20 you’re fine. If you think you might have some other issues than I’d definitely take care of that first.

Also you mentioned you flew for a foreign military. I should mention to train with ATP you either need tti be a citizen or have permanent resident status.

Adam

1 Like

@AlVincent actually that sums it up pretty well. @Dara After obtaining your 1st Class Medical and securing financing that’s actually all you need to do before you start. If you want to get ahead, you have the option of taking the written tests. Again, taking the tests early is optional, but those that have taken the tests early were very happy that they did.

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Tory

1 Like

Yeah I already made appointments to check my vision on Monday and First Class Medical on Thursday just as a precaution before even going through and applying for financing because already have a cosigner and my credit score is 780 so hopefully I would be approved, I just wanted to double check with you guys as you have better knowledge and experience than all the researches I can do and I really appreciate your professionalism for my question even though sometimes may sound very basic but as I’m new and not familiar with rules you guys been very helpful.
For the Residency status I’m already a permanent resident with less than 2 years remaining to be naturalized and become a US citizen :blush:.

1 Like

Ahmed,

Did you fly as a pilot for a foreign military? Have you spoken with the FAA about converting your licenses to US ones? I think you should check on that before investing in flight school.

Chris

1 Like

I did fly AS350 B3e and Gyrocopter MTOsport I have a total of 400 hours but I don’t have a license as in my country’s military don’t give a license but I do have a certificate and all of my logbooks, I did some research and I can count them toward my total but not in the beginning also November 2016 was last time I’ve flown so I’m pretty rusty

Adam by the way I read your biography and I find it very motivational as I’m from a very poor family and a separated parents raised by my aunt who always told me that I’m a failure since I was 7 in 2014 at the age of 26 recieved my BS and one year earlier joined an elite team fighting terrorism as a helicopter pilot in late 2016 got lucky and won the diversity visa and got the choice to immigrate to US gave up my rank and my job and risk everything to expand my journey in life to a new country with just 5k on me as the whole program cost me 30k no it’s not that kind of lottery :rofl: but I’m very blessed after 3 years in US looking at every single aircraft over my head I decided I want to go back to what I love I’m 30 now and for some reason I kept telling myself I’m too old to start again and @Adam proved me wrong
Thank you and I wish you best of luck

3 Likes

From one immigrant to another… 30 is NOT too late to start. Plus when you get your FAA certs, that commercial rotorcraft rating will be within your reach as well :blush:

1 Like

You’re practically a child :wink:

Glad to help.

Adam

1 Like

@Adam I guess I feel like that now :blush:.
@forourspam I guess rotorcraft will be much easier to get as I have advanced training in it from long line to mountain flying, Also flying in a warzone in an AS350 B3e with carbon fiber fuselage were a fast rock can penetrate it wasn’t an easy job, I really appreciate everyone in this forum and in past 3 years for the first time I feel I’m connected again

First step done, Vision test 20/20 without glasses and everything else was great got my Class 1 medical certificate, now my next step is financing :disappointed:, as I’m new in the country with only 2.5 years of credit, the history of my credit is not enough even though after having a perfect credit with a score of 780, now I have to find a cosigner that will qualify as I do have multiple people are ready to cosign but non of them have an enough score, If I’m forced to then I have to go with Part 61 schools that are qualified with FAFSA, Guys any advice will be appreciated!!!

Ahmed,

ATP’s finance department might have some advice for you on how to maximize your loan approval probability. It’s worth giving them a call. Don’t be disappointed if they don’t have much advice for you though. Sometimes it’s as simple of having good credit history, debt to income ratio and co-signers. You are already aware of that.

Tory

2 Likes

Dara,

I could be wrong but I don’t believe there are any Part 61 schools that qualify for FAFSA.

Adam

1 Like

@Tory Thanks for the advice, I did talk to them and eventually they had nothing more to offer than the information that already exists, however I already applied alone to see what going to happen, in the case of not getting the approval then I’ll add a cosigner.
@Adam I’ve done a thorough research and didn’t find any flight schools that will qualify except Aviation Universities and even those are like 205k for the 4 years, while FAFSA max out at 20k annually.

1 Like