Why do you fly?

Hello everyone,

I’m currently a high school senior, and as I’m applying to colleges this year I have to decide which field I want to pursue–aviation or biology. I’ve had people suggest that I somehow combine the two, but that won’t cut it. It’s either everything aviation or everything biology/medicine. I’m leaning towards aviation, as it’s always been my biggest passion. However, nobody takes me seriously when I say that I want to be a pilot. It’s pretty discouraging. Because of this, I did not consider the fact that I could actually become a pilot until this year. This is the main reason I’m so torn. Aviation seems like a huge step in the dark for me, especially since everyone expects me to do something else. I can see myself being successful in both careers (biology or aviation), and my decision on what I want to do changes every day.

So, my question to everyone is why do you fly? What inspires you to fly? Does it ever get boring or repetitive? What makes it the best profession in the world? What are some of the negative aspects of aviation (besides cost)? What advice do you have for a student who is debating on starting training or not?

Extra info: I would say that I know the basics around what it takes to become an airline pilot, and have done a lot of research on it. :wink: I’m currently saving up to start flight lessons in June (and am already in contact with a local flight school).

1 Like

Anna,

You make no mention of it so my question for you is have you ever flown a plane? Not flown IN a plane but been upfront with your hands on the controls of a small airplane? If the answer is no then with all due respect this conversation is pointless. You say aviation is your biggest passion but why? Airplanes are cool and going to the airport to fly away to exotic locations is exciting (even if it’s just grandma’s for the holidays) but if you’ve never actually sat upfront at the controls you simply don’t know. When I was young I had a “passion” to be surgeon. I took a pre med class, saw a video of an appendectomy and passed out. There went my passion.

You asked why we fly and I’m sure others will chime in with their feelings but frankly what does it matter why anyone else does anything? What’s your favorite food? Your favorite color? Etc. If mine were the same or different would it change yours? I hope not. I appreciate you’re young and it’s unfortunate you’ve been discouraged towards aviation but ultimately it’s your life and your decision. To answer your question for me it was I needed to do something I love and from the moment I first went up I was hooked. Does that mean to fly you need to fall in love immediately. No. I know plenty of pilots who don’t enjoy the job at all. Some people get bored (I did when I flew international) others don’t. To me it is the best profession in the world but there are doctors and accountants and chefs who swear theirs is.

Bottomline only you can decide what’s best for you but before you spend another minute pondering you need to go fly. Whether you love it, hate it or somewhere in between it can only help you decide.

Adam

6 Likes

WOW Adam, best answer ever! I have to agree 100%. Go take that intro flight and see if it confirms your desires. I have to say, I felt the same way when I was young, It took me only one flight to confirm that this is the profession for me. 25 years later, I still love it. I have flown helicopters, light planes, jets and now the big stuff (737) to keep myself from getting tired of one thing, but the passion to fly is still there. Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Anna,

I enjoy flying because of the diversity the job brings with it. I like that I am on one coast of the country one day, and the other coast the next. I like seeing the aspens turn colors in the fall and paint the Rockies in yellow. I love flying over San Francisco Bay and the approach in to San Diego. I like the view from my office and the fact that every day is different.

I also fly because the job provides a nice living that I support my family with.

I do not understand why people would discourage you, or anybody, from being a pilot. It is a great career that has a lot of potential. I would encourage you to start taking a few lessons and see if it really is right for you.

Chris

1 Like

I fly for the Passion! Feeling of freedom. I don’t know, so many ones I can mention. But What I will tell you is that in my case, i fell in love with aviation at a young age (4 to be precise) i loved flying a kite and watching birds fly. I had little resources so I explored many materials to make little scale like airplanes fly.
Then it comes to that feeling of flying. Have you ever dreamt that you are running on the side walk and open up your arms and suddenly you start floating away. Soar up to the skies? Feel the weightlessness and yet the exhilarating rush of you heart pumping blood at 200 bpm!?
Thats what got me started, that is what still drives me.
As an instructor, I see many candidates of all ages trying to be pilots because its cool, because there is good money, because its the right time to do it. Then I see them struggle because no one told them that you need at least 80/20 study vs flying! They think is just like learning how to drive a truck or heavy machinery. Well it is not. Flying requires finesse, flying requires passion and flying requires a lot of studying. I can teach you finesse and study but do you have the passion? That one will be up to you.
If you let others dictate your life, so be it, be the best others say that you can be. But As it was said before, the best way to know if you at least will enjoy it is to get an intro flight at a local school or at the local airport. It will be the best money invested before you shed lots of $$$ in something you really wasn’t sure you liked.

2 Likes