What keeps you flying?

Hey mentors, as I start my challenging and fulfilling career (I’ll be starting ATP either June or July, have the loan and medical done) in aviation we all have a “why?” for what we want to do.

Nothing particular or seeking advice but what was you’re “why?” or reason you thoroughly enjoyed aviation. The places, the fun of being in the air? etc. etc.

Mine is as elementary as I just have a blast each and every time, and learning new skillsets just adds to the fun!

Thanks,
Clint

Clint,

For me it has always been about quality of life. I wasn’t happy with my career choice out of college (transportation logistics). I had an appetite to do something life-changing in a substantial way.

I am so blessed to have the career that I have now. The way things have gone in this industry has made it possible for me to get to where I am in 5 short years.

Tory

1 Like

Clint,

My “why” was an extensive family background in aviation. I was well familiar with the good, the bad and the ugly of the industry. I weighed all of those pros and cons and decided to become a pilot. I have to admit, I did not have a love of aviation to begin with, although I have developed one.

I have gone through several periods of being off work for a few months at a time due to some medical issues and have always missed the job very much while I was out.

I am currently on another one of those breaks due to an ankle injury and find myself looking to the sky every time I hear an airplane.

Chris

2 Likes

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Jason,

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Chris

Clint,

For me the answer is simple. We spend a huge part of our lives working and there’s really no way around that for most of us. If you have a job you hate (or even are indifferent to) then that means you’re going to spend a huge part of your life not being happy. Therefore I believed the reverse would be true and for me I was correct. I actually bid reserve so often I don’t know if I’m going to work or not and honestly it doesn’t matter. If I’m off I can do something fun but if they call I can as well. That to me is the Secret of Life.

Adam

1 Like