Wife and Husband Pilot and Copilot?

My and my fiance have been together doing small jobs and hobbies we love and we’ve both considered following a career choice into aviation. Is their any way we can be pilot and co-pilot to cancel out the long distance affect? I understand maybe one of us might have to go first then the other… but within the long term we’d like to both have the same flights. Are their any specific companies that would aid the situation or any courses of action. Any advice ahah??

Airline schedules are determined strictly by seniority, you will both need to first get hired at the same airline, then build enough seniority that one person can upgrade to captain while the other bids matching FO trips. There is no guarantee that you will be able to get the same trips.

While in theory it is possible to do what you re speaking of, in practicality it will be harder than you might think.

Chris

I know one couple who does exactly that so yes it can be done. The caveat is it took them over 20 years to get to this point.

As Chris said everything is based on seniority so first you but need to fly long enough for one of you to upgrade. Problem is then one of you will be a very senior FO while the other is a very junior Capt. If the Capt is on reserve you’re out of luck. Once the Capt gets a schedule it’ll probably be lousy. Will the senior FO bid those lousy trips for the joy of you two being together? If they don’t will that cause animosity or will they bid the lousy trips but carry resentment towards the other knowing they could have a great schedule? What if the other person really wants to upgrade also and feels the other is holding them back? How do you decide who upgrades? One person says “it’s fine, you go honey, I support you” but secretly harbors years of spent up hostility until one day one of you says “pass the ketchup” the other says “what does that means?!?” and the next thing you know there’s silverware flying, the dog’s crying and you end up in court over who gets custody of the plants!

If you both want to fly then by all means and if you end up flying the occasional trip together that’s great too but if your primary goal is holding hands you’d be better off as flight attendants.

Adam

3 Likes