Will a history of "job hopping" affect my hiring chances at a legacy airline?

Hello all,

I was wondering if a history of working at a place for a short amount of time will affect if I get hired at a legacy. These are NON-AVIATION JOBS and are jobs that I had during college. One was for 3 months, another for 1 year, and maybe a third (see below…)

I am thinking about going to another job again after only being here for 3 months because it would be in an aviation-related field (not time building), just to have more passion in my work. But, if it will hinder my ability to get a job in the future, I will suck it up and stay where I am. I am still in college, and about to start training. But I am looking far into the future for my goals.

Any input is appreciated.

2 Likes

Peter,

That shouldn’t be an issue but once fit start flying you might want to settle down because that would be a redflag for an airline.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for the response, Adam. Since I haven’t seen any posts about this issue, I figured that was the case. But, what are red flags for the airlines in terms of job hopping for aviation-related careers?

I have seen people jump from regional, to LCC, and then try to apply to legacies, and succeed. What do you think of this?

Peter,

Either way, I would chill out on the job hoping as at some point it will not look good to be continuously changing jobs.

As for going from regional to LCC and then legacy, that is perfectly acceptable and very much expected in this industry.

Chris

Peter,

Any kind of short term jumps raises red flags. If you burned through three flight schools to get your ratings a recruiter might question your ability to be successful in a training environment. If you hopped to three different jobs to build time they might wonder if you had performance or discipline issues. If you got a type rating and broke your contract to go somewhere shortly after it will reflect poorly on your character.

Think of your history, your resume on paper, as your story. Keep the highlights positive and the missteps to a minimum.

Hannah

1 Like