Working and Training

Hello,

I am curious to know if ATP students are able to train full-time and have a part-time job on the side prior to becoming flight instructors?

Thank you,

Louis

Louis,

No, it is not possible to work while being enrolled in the program. ATP’s training is highly condensed and as such will take every minute of your time. To work during that time period would really jeopardize your success in the program and thus also jeopardize your future career as a pilot.

Chris

Thank you, Chris. How do ATP trainees “survive” without a steady income? My guess is that the loans needed to cover flight training will also cover this?

Louis

Louis,

Generally, most applicants are able to add an additional $1,600 per month to their loan amount to help cover living expenses while in the program. You will need to check with the admissions department for specifics on this one.

Chris

Or some prepare, save some money and sacrifice before taking the plunge.

Adam

Thanks for the info guys. If I decide to commit to ATP here soon, I’ll be able to live with my parents in Tampa and train at the ATP school there and save money that way. I was just curious!

Louis

Louis, it’s just better to concentrate on your ATPL, and leave the work part, because it will be extremely difficult for you to cope, and you might not make the use of most of your time. It’s also a of waste time and resources my sincere advice thank you.

1 Like

Al-amin,

Very good advice, we might need to make you a mentor :slight_smile:

Chris

1 Like

Al-amin,

Thank you for your advice! This makes sense. From my little experience in aviation earning my PPL and going to college even, I can see how it can be difficult to balance it all. Especially, considering how rigorous ATP’s program is.

Louis