Work and Training

Merry Christmas. I am wanting to start the ATP program next month but wanted to see if it is possible to have a full time job while going through the program? I have not heard how many hours a week class and training will take not to mention when I get to instruct. I have a flexible remote job that only requires two day travel every 6 weeks or so but want to fulfill my dream of becoming an airline pilot . I really want to do this but also need to provide for my family and pay for school at the same time. Is that possible or should I consider going at my own pace?

Christopher

Christopher,

Working during the program is HIGHLY discouraged. The program is accelerated taking what normally takes years and compresses it into months. Many find it extremely challenging without any distractions.

While no one can tell you what to do many who have tried to work even part time have failed miserably. Fall behind and ATP will not be sympathetic, you’ll simply be terminated. Fail a few checkrides and that could jeopardize your entire career.

That all said the choice is yours and it’s your $80k plus you’re gambling with. Just don’t say you weren’t warned.

Adam

1 Like

Christopher,

It is not possible to work while in ATP’s program. The program is highly condensed and accelerated, there simply is not time for work. Any free time that you have should be spent studying. If you are attempting to work as well, your flying and studying will suffer, which could have a significant impact on your career.

Chris

1 Like