16 year old in high school

Im 16 and I want to be a pilot but I don’t want to go to college can I still be a pilot

Ehren,

A college degree is not required to fly for the regional airlines, it is to fly for the majors. Trust me, you will want your career to be spent at a major airline and not a regional.

I would also encourage you to pay attention to your use of punctuation and syntax in your writing. These things matter in a professional industry.

Chris

Ehren,

As Chris said you can but you would be greatly limiting your career and salary potential.

Your 16 and I think you may find as you get older your priorities and thoughts on college will change.

Adam

Thanks Chris I live on Guam and we don’t have a aviation degree what degree is best

Any college degree will be fine, just make sure that it comes from an accredited and respectable college.

Chris

Can I be a regional pilot and go to college at the same time

Yes. Many before you have done exactly this.

Now you say respectable college. Does this mean a major university ( like UGA, Embry-Riddle, University of Florida) or can it be a state school? I am currently a firefighter working towards going to ATP in Jax FL in about a year and a half. I have been told there are state schools with online programs designed to be earned while you are instructing and flying regionally. Are these acceptable or a waste of time?

Travis,

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with state schools. When we say not legitimate we’re talking about for profit schools or schools like Joe’s College of Medicine and Basket Weaving.

Adam

Ok thank you so much! I was extremly nervous about that.

Thanks Chris for the advice and I hope one day we meet each other. And if I have any questions I will message you and Adam for the help

Travis,

State schools are perfectly fine. I would just stay away from the University of Phoenix type schools.

Chris

How do you become a regional pilot do the the regional airlines choose you or do you pick what regional airline you want to fly for.

Ehren,

Back in the day you would apply to the Regional(s) of your choice and hope you’d get the invite to interview. If you didn’t get your first pick, hopefully you’d get your second, third, etc. With the current pilot shortage the Regionals are scrambling for bodies and chances are, provided you do well in training, they’ll all be fighting for your attention.

Adam

1 Like

ok

So for example if United picked me to become a regional pilot were do I fly out of

Ehren,

To clarify, United is a major airline. Visit airlinepilotcentral.com to see all of the bases at each airline.

Tory

Thanks Tory

1 Like

I have a question? What if I do want to go to college what college course should I take in what are some good colleges

Kiyan,

Study whatever you like. The Majors want a degree but don’t care the field of study. As for schools that’s best discussed with your parents and guidance counselor.

Adam