42 and switching to a Pilot Career? Am I crazy?

Hello. I know this question has been asked before, but I have a decision to make with a deadline.

To make a story short, I am 42 years old, Been on my company for 13 years, and due to company re-structuring, they are offering a voluntary separation program. This program will help with my income for the next 1 1/2 years or so. I have my PPL and that’s it but daily low hours. And I have this crazy idea of fulfilling my dreams of flying as a career. I actually went to Embry-Riddle after high school, but couldn’t finish because of the cost. Earned my PPL privately, and I thought I would never have the chance based on my age to switch to it.

Am I crazy to even think that is realistic to me to switch and end up retiring at a good place in the aviation career? I am realistic, and now that Captain on a Major would be unlikely, but my goals would be to retire as either captain on regional or FO on Major domestically. Covid 19 makes it harder? Am I crazy?.. My family thinks I should do it and know it might be a struggle at the early stages… Thoughts?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Jay,

As you say this questions been asked before. I’m the old guy on this forum and I asked myself the same question when I was 39. I won’t bore you with the details (you can read my bio) but long story short I wasn’t happy, life is short etc so I decided to take the plunge. Lots of hard work and some sacrifice but when all was said and done it was the best decision of my life. I’m a happy guy making a very good living and I enjoy going to work as much as I enjoy my down time. I’m a better father, friend, and anything else you can think of.

If you’re looking for someone to talk you out of it you got the wrong guy. I’d do it again in a heartbeat and twice on Sunday!

Adam

3 Likes

Thank you Adam! I’ve been following the forum for a while, and I knew you were the closest to my age when you first started, so was hoping to hear your thoughts… and you are 100% on point on what I am feeling. Thanks again!

Jay,

I am currently 39 and I am diving in! While I’m not currently going to ATP “wanted to make sure this was something I wanted to do” I’m about halfway thru my PPL… I have a wife,3kids and 3 Foster kids “busy” but full support from family and working my way thru my ratings. I say go for it! You will have potentially 20 years Of flying once you get to the airlines! Also “just my opinion here” but now is the best time to train, if you can work it financially during this downturn! Good luck too you!

Marcus

1 Like

Thank you Marcus!.. It is nice to know I am not that much crazy for doing it, and others in a similar situation are making it happen!

2 Likes

Jay,

I have known plenty of people your age, or even older, to go for it. Now of course Covid-19 will have some affect on your career, it has on all of us, but my speculation is that things will return to normal sooner rather than later and that the industry will get kicking again soon. There will continue to be pilot retirements no matter what and thus there will be attrition that way as well.

One thing I would really encourage you to think about is if you are willing to move for the job or not. Commuting to work sounds like a great idea, until you actually do it. If you want to maximize time with y9our wife and family, while also maximizing your earnings potential, make sure you move to wherever you end up being based.

Chris

2 Likes

Thank you Chris…Yeah, I want to avoid commuting at all cost as i know it takes a toll on pilots. I currently live in Charlotte, NC so there are a couple of reginal options with hubs here. But there is some flexibility in moving specially if I can stay within the south east area. Obviously my best case scenario would be a Charlotte hub regional when I get to that point.

Jay,

Do it, but only if you are obsessed with it. I’m 42 and just started, I’m now on 20 hours. You are still young enough to have a long career and young enough to get your investment back and then some.

1 Like

Thank you Jason! Feel better seen somebody my age at the same stages :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel you man. I know exactly what you are going through, just dive in once you know you are good to meet the financial burden up until until you’re hired. There’s several people at my ATP location even older than us.
Long story short, I now know my fears where for nothing. You are young enough and there’s actually advantages such as a mandatory hiring quota for people over 40, not that you’ll need it due to the pilot shortage getting more desperate which is a certainty once this Covid nonsense is over.

Wish you well.

Jason,

I have to ask, where have you heard of mandatory hiring quotas? I’ve been doing this a while and I’m unaware of any. Further while I do believe the shortage will remain, the pandemic has actually given the airlines the opportunity to catch up some and I don’t see it getting any more desperate.

Not trying to be a downer but don’t paint a false picture either.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

That was new information to me also.I heard it from a retired Airline pilot and current Aviation Industry Consultant during a recent ‘ATP Flight School’ YouTube video uploaded 2 days ago July 13th titled “Ride Report: Airline Recovery Forecast.”

Its currently still up and available for viewing. Its 56 mins long and I cannot cite the exact part of the video it was mentioned from memory. I highly recommend people watch it regardless for its industry outlook content.

You aren’t “being a downer”, but you are being typically unnecessarily rude which I’ve noticed is quiet common with you. Trust but verify etc.
The industry expert in said video would be a more reliable source in my view than a non industry expert especially with his solid research supported by facts and figures directly from the airlines which trumps ‘hot takes’ from people with some interviewing experience.

Forgive the edits, I’m adding new info. Quotas for hiring pilots over 40 years old begins at minute 36:00 but do watch the entire video.

Jason

Jason,

I have never heard of an airline having hiring quotas either, especially one requiring the hiring of older pilots. Now this is not to say that airlines do not like hiring older pilots, many of them do. I am simply saying that I have never heard of a requirement or quota to do so.

I didn’t think Adam was rude at all. Adam speaks factually, you can always count on him to give you the straight scoop. If you want to find somebody to sell you sunshine, there are plenty of places that will do that. We give the facts to you straight and let you come to your own conclusion.

Chris

2 Likes

Jason,

First while I won’t dispute I can be less than warm and fuzzy I fail to see where I was rude in my response?

Now while I have no where near the expertise of Mr Darby, I’m also a tad bit more qualified than just “people with some interview experience”. What I am in addition to being a current and qualified airline Capt, is also an elected union rep and member of the Master and Local Executive Councils. Does that mean I know any more or am any smarter than anyone else? No but what it does do is put me in the room with some really knowledgeable people (airline CEOs, National Union leaders, National and local Gov’t officials and legislators) who are currently dealing with an UNPRECEDENTED global pandemic the affects of which have NEVER been seen before by anyone. Now you can hang your hat on whatever narrative you like but until there’s a cure or vaccine, we know if they’ll be a second or third wave, when Europe, Asia and Australia will open their border, etc etc etc. All anyone can do is guess.

Personally with predictions ranging from 2-5yrs for a full recovery, Delta saying they will NEVER be the same size airline they were before and the possibility of thousands of pilots being furloughed I’d be reluctant to say the “pilot shortage getting more desperate is a certainty”.

What I will say (and have always said) is older pilots are a better investment for the Regionals. Not because of a quota, but because there’s a reasonable chance you’re not going to jump ship for a Major the first chance they get. Further we often have a stronger work ethic than some of the younger newhires.

Finally I do believe we will recover and that people in training right now are poised to be in a very good position when we do. That said as I’m at this very moment I’m taking a break from drafting Furloughed Pilot Assistant proposals and answering questions and concerns from pilots who might actually find themselves on the street in 3mos, forgive me if I don’t see this pandemic as a great opportunity.

Adam

3 Likes