41 and thinking about a career change

Aloha forum! My first post. I am 41 and thinking of a career change. I have an A&P mechanics license and a Assoiciates degree from Embry Riddle. I have wanted to fly since I can remember. Is it too late for me? I want to do this and getting financing has been difficult. I will have to rely on my in laws and hopefully they help me out. I currently make almost six figures in the job I have right now. Is it worth starting over and doing this? My father is a pilot and he says I should go for it. It’s just scary thinking about quitting my job that I have been doing for ten years and starting from the beginning. help! What should I do?

Robert,

Quite honestly, you are asking a lot of questions that only you can answer. We can’t tell you if it is worth it or not, that is something that you will have to decide for yourself. I can tell you that I very much enjoy my job and derive a lot of pleasure from it, but that doesn’t mean that everybody would.

As to your age, take a look at our FAQ section, there is a detailed breakdown there of how age affects career expectations.

I should also point out that if you want to work for a major, you will need to finish your degree at some point.

Take a look around this forum, there is a lot of good information here that should help you decide if the career is right for you.

Chris

Robert,

Not to be harsh but at 41 you should certainly know yourself better than any of us do and what’s best for you. You say “I have wanted to fly since I can remember”, is that true? Not to get overly philosophical but you have one life but don’t know if satisfying a lifelong dream is worth it? As for is it too late I recommend you peruse this forum since every other post asks the same question and the answers haven’t changed.

“Help?” The Lord helps those who help themselves :slight_smile:

Adam

Chris and Adam,

Thank you for your candid replies. Honestly, I know what I have to do I am just apprehensive about it, because it requires a great sacrifice on my part and my family’s. I appreciate you guys and what you do for this community of up and coming pilots. I hope that I can secure the financing and persue my dreams. Thank you for the words of wisdom!

Aloha,
Robert

Robert,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Hey guys!

Just giving a little update. I am officially enrolled at the Phoenix/Mesa school to start in May. I can’t express how much I appreciate the experiences you have shared here. It has been an interesting month going back and forth with finances and logistics on how this is all gonna work, but I believe that this will be for the better. It’s going to be an interesting journey and I can’t wait to begin.

Thanks again to all the mentors that have posted throughout this forum. I read everyone’s questions and responses and it has really helped me to understand what it is exactly that I am doing and why I am doing it.

Onward and upward!!!

1 Like

Robert,

Congratulations on enrolling in the program! Also, thank you for your kind words.

Please keep us up to date as you progress through your training.

Chris

Congrats Robert and glad you found this forum helpful (that’s the idea). You’ve take the first step towards what can be a wonderful career and life. Keep us posted and keep the questions coming.

Adam

PS: NICE picture!