42 years old, not (necessarily) looking for a career

Hi there everyone,
I just recently sent this inquiry to the ATP contact section, but after finding this site, it looks like I should have asked here first! Thanks so much for any and all replies. I am a 42-year-old private pilot with about 180 hours, and no college education. I have a stable career, and possibly the potential and funding to take some time off to pursue another venture. Given my age and education, I do not harbor any delusions of becoming a professional jet captain, However, I would love to spend a year immersed in advanced flight training, as well as rack up my time, flight experience, and ratings in more and more advanced aircraft.
My Question is, would I be “out of place” in a program like yours? In other words, would I be a 40 something surrounded by 20-year-old whiz kids on the fast track to the airlines, or do you ever get students of my type, who are more near the middle of their lives, and just want to pursue more advanced flying? How common or rare would you say this situation is with in your program, And is this something you would rather not cater to?
Again, this would not be a career move, BUT, on that subject, given my age, high school education, and the current climate, would there be any chance of someone like me maybe ever flying a turbo prop for a small regional? (Even that would be a wild dream come true, although not necessary )Again, this is not a dealbreaker, just a question.

If this matters at all, no criminal background, no DUIs, perfect credit.

Thanks everyone, look forward to hearing from you!

Matt

Matt,

While you’ll probably never be a 787 Capt flying to Asia you could have a nice career as a Regional pilot and possibly even get to a Major (but then you’d probably need to get that degree). The airlines are short on pilots and are hiring like mad. While I often say there are no guarantees in aviation, the truth is in the current environment if you earn your licenses and ratings and build the required 1500hrs you WILL get hired. I started with ATP at 39 and honestly like you, I simply wanted to do some advanced training and maybe get a part-time flying gig where I could get paid to fly vs paying. I’m a Capt for Hawaiian Airlines and trust me when I started things were nowhere near as good as they are now.

While the majority of ATPs students are in their 20s and 30s, they get plenty of pilots in their 40s and 50s (apparently the dream never really dies). As I said the Regionals are hiring everyone with 1500hrs and a pulse and that’s attracting many older/second career pilots. As for the “whiz kid” aspect, while I don’t like to make sweeping indictments of any group of people, I found whatever I may have lacked in “whiz” factor I MORE than made up for in work ethic. Young people are…well they’re young. When I was in training many of them played X-Box, stayed up late watching the game, hung with their girlfriends on weekends and frankly also struggled. I knew exactly why I was there, was very focused and as such did well. Short answer you’ll be fine.

Adam

Matt,

While it is not uncommon for someone of your age to enter the program, it is uncommon to join without having a strong desire to fly for an airline, though you could if you can maintain a 1st class medical, acquire the appropriate ratings and flight time. Just because you don’t have intentions of flying for an airline, doesn’t mean you won’t be eligible for the program. There are a handful of students every year that get jobs flying cargo, aerial photography, corporate, etc.

Tory

1 Like

Wow,

Thanks for the quick and informative replies, guys. It’s great to know that I would not necessarily be The old guy that everyone is staring at in ground school trying to hide their laughter! In all honesty, I do own an Xbox, and I would certainly want to spend at least some time on the weekends hanging with my girlfriend, but I would be willing to put that aside for year to pursue this dream. I can not say at this point I would necessarily pursue a college degree, but, As I said, flying professionally, much less-working for a major isn’t necessarily my goal. But the prospect of even being in the right seat Of a Dash-8 flying short hops out of class delta or Charlie fields Is certainly more than I ever thought I could achieve at my age!

I also saw in a bunch of other threads people mentioning that if you start in a program like ATP already holding a private, you have to be ready to unlearn a bunch of what you have learned. While that was proposed as a negative, that sounds great to me. At my local flight school, I always had the feeling I earned my private without mastering a lot of skills I feel I should have mastered!

Your replies so far have been very exciting and inspiring, thanks again!

Matt

1 Like

Matt,

I wouldn’t be too concerned regarding “unlearning”. All we’re really saying is that ATP has a proven method of instruction and procedures (particularly getting you acquainted with the “crew concept”). Given the choice it’s always preferable to start Day 1 on the right foot. That said all the mentors on this forum all started with our Privates and we all did fine.

Btw, propellers are for boats, forget the Dash, go for the Jet :wink:

Adam

Haha!
Thanks for that reply Adam, I have been going through the site quite a bit this evening, and have found all of your replies to questions to be extremely informative, and this community seems to be greatly benefiting from your knowledge. I look forward to learning more while I am here…and as far as the propeller thing, At this point in my flying, which I guess you could call my infancy, to me, the sound of a turbo prop spooling up sounds just as cool as a turbofan! :smile: Thanks again, I look forward to learning more from you.

Matt

1 Like

Matt,

While you would not be the typical student, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with you going through the program and you will probably find other people your age as well. I also see no reason thy you could not get hired on at a regional airline and be a jet captain there. Heck, if you knocked a degree out the majors might even be in your reach.

Give up the turbo-prop dream and focus on the jets, you could be in one in just a few years.

Chris

Chris, Adam, and Tory,

Thanks so much for your inspiring replies. Honestly, when I wrote that post, the best answer I was hoping for was " sure, we will take your money and get you your MEI, and maybe if you are lucky when you are 55 you can get a job flying a Caravan between New Haven and Block Island".

You guys have given me so much to think about, and get excited about. Thank you again so much for your help.

Matt

Matt,

Lest you think we’re blowing smoke (or trying to get your money) I encourage you to contact ANY Regional Airline in your area (or any you’re simply interested in) recruiting dept. While in the past they wouldn’t even speak with you now there are some giving “conditional” job offers with just your Private. Seriously the hiring environment is like nothing I’ve ever seen and most are offering Tuition Reimbursement to help with the expense of training. You literally couldn’t be looking at getting in at a better time.

Adam

I will definitely look into that! Thank you! And even if IT WAS just about getting my money, it would still be a worthwhile investment for the pilot experience! But a job at the end wouldn’t su*k too bad either:)

I guess that does bring up another question however: If I have the money, the medical, and the time to commit, is there still some sort of selection process to be admitted to the program?

Continued thanks!

Matt,

No there’s no selection process as long as you meet the requirements (which it sounds like you have, medical, PPL and funding). Obviously you need to register and enroll so they know when/where you’d like to come. We also always recommend you start getting a jump on the required FAA writtens. ATP will provide you with access to the study guides once you have a start date and pay your deposit. Easy.

Adam

Matt,

ATP does have certain eligibility criteria that need to be met and each application is of course individually reviewed. On the surface, I do not see any reason why you would not be admitted, but the admissions department always has the final word.

Chris

Matt, another Matt here.
I’ve been an FO at a regional for a year now, and I’m 40 years old. Honestly, I love this job like nothing else! So far it’s been a dream come true.
I can’t count the number of captains I’ve flown with who took their first flight 5-6 years ago at ATP and now are in command of a 76 passenger jet.
Forget the right seat of a turboprop.
If you have the drive and determination, it’s highly likely that you’ll be in the left seat of a jet before hitting 50!
Crazy, I know. But completely doable.

1 Like

Thanks Matt!

You’re right, right now that does sound crazy to me! But all the encouragement I have found on this site has made me start seriously questioning what I thought I knew about an aviation career!

I hope you all don’t mind another question in regards to my education (or lack of). I FULLY understand not having a degree would be a likely fatal hindrance as far as a major carrier goes. But just overall, if I were looking for a flying job in my mid-40s, would the lack of college education issue carry more, less, or equal weight in the consideration process as opposed to someone in their mid-20s? I have a dear friend who is a United pilot who has always been encouraging, and told me that he honestly feels that although any air carrier probably prefers a degree, the fact that I have been self-employed with my own business for the last 16 years and have managed to live cleanly and keep my credit score in the 800s, would count at least a little bit towards some of those “Hey this guy can follow through and handle himself” points which are typically earned by a college degree.

Please understand I am not in any way trying to trivialize a higher education, and I fully understand that making my own luck does not make me equal to someone who worked their tail off for 4 years or more in college!

Just wondering if in your professional opinions, if that is something that might be taken into consideration. Thanks again everyone, and as always, thank you so much in advance for the replies and the encouragement.

Matt

Matt,

Te best way I can answer your questions is this, I do not know a single pilot at the majors that does not have a college degree, not one. Your friend has a point, but I fly with a lot of new hires of all ages and every one of them has a degree.

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, I’m sorry I did not make it clearer, but I am already pretty much considering major is out of the question. I guess rather than phrasing that so broadly, I should have pointed out that I was more interested in how that would play out in a regional situation, considering according to the great advice I’ve gotten here, that would be my best bet. Sorry for the confusion! And thank you as always.

Matt

Matt,

No issues at all getting to the regionals without a degree, do not give it another second of thought.

Chris

Wow. Thanks Chris! So grateful to have found this community and all the knowledge within.

Matt,

Seriously I don’t think you understand what’s happening at the Regionals right now. Some are canceling flights due to lack of pilots. I recently saw one saying DUIs were ok!

Stop looking for obstacles and get cracking!

Adam

You are so right! There are always 1 million reasons NOT do something!! I am pretty sure I just quoted Jan Levinson from The Office…

1 Like