Life after 65

Hi All, I don’t want to beat a dead horse but I think there might be some interest from all of use contemplating a late life change. If 55+ is too late for the Majors, is 5 years left after ATP and 1500 too late for the Regionals? After the big “65” do any of you contemplate continuing commercial flying or do you plan on the last walk in and a quite retirement? From the perspective of someone who has not flown a majority of his/her life, piloting a Caravan or the new SkyCargo looks like a pretty nice way to spend some of the later years. Not looking for answers, just maybe some perspective from those already doing. Thanks for what you do. Ed

Edward,

This is a topic we address regularly and have in the FAQs. In short if you start your training at 55+, add 2.5 to get to a Regional (which is def doable) but then another 4-6 to upgrade and build some PIC and you’re in your 60s. So no you’re not going to a Major. Why? Because you’re a bad investment. It cost tens of thousands you train a pilot and if someone only has a few years left it simply doesn’t pay vs a pilot with 40.

Now as for flying after 65, sure there are some gigs (provided you can keep your medical) but the question is do you want them? I have a friend who just retired from the airline and is flying light cargo. Lots of short legs and lots of backside of the clock flying. I can only speak for myself but I’m 54 and that kinda flying kicks my butt. Especially if it’s not something you’ve been doing your whole life. Your call.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for your input. I have perused the FAQs enough to know the Majors are not in my future. I was looking for input on post airline flying and maybe if ATP was not the best choice (investment) for a short regional career. The positives are a compressed schedule path and hopefully a higher order of competency for a sunset career after the airlines. The negative seems to be the cost and no chance of the tuition reimbursement program due to bad risk/reward for the airlines. From what I have read here, achieving similar results is a fools errand through local flight schools and just wastes time and money or at least that seems to be the general tone. Your answer seems to imply that you would not want to fly after the airlines (maybe I misinterpreted). When you say “backside of the clock” I assume you mean overnights or do you mean once you have achieved the pinnacle you have no desire to downgrade to lesser aircraft? I am just looking for some opinions from people on both sides of the equation. Maybe it is just a dream postponed too long. Thank you for your time.

Edward,

I never said you wouldn’t be eligible for Tuition Reimbursement. While the Majors are not in your future and you’d be a bad investment for them, the Regionals would love to have you until you turn into a pumpkin as 7-8yrs is more than they get from many younger pilots.

As for the after retirement flying please let me clarify. First off I have zero issue downgrading to a “lessor” aircraft (in fact I just did here at my airline going from the widebody A330 heavy to the B717). Everyone is different but I’ve been fortunate to check the widebody box and have flown to the places I wanted to fly to so the airplane I fly really isn’t a factor. What I meant by “backside of the clock” is flying in the wee hours very late at night till very early in the am (basically from 11pm till 4am) when much of that type of flying takes place. It’s not that I wouldn’t want to fly after the airlines it’s simply that I’ve been spoiled by the lifestyle the airlines provide and I’m not sure I’m up for “hard work”.

Adam