Accident or incident on my record effects on my carrer

I’m a student pilot and have an incident or accident on my 2nd solo cross country. It was a hard landing and the aircraft was damaged from it. It happen a month ago, but NTSB just start the investigation on it couple days ago. I’m not sure will it be an accident or incident because i don’t know was there substantial damage to the aircraft. I do enjoy flying and want to make pilot as a carrer. Did i shoot myself in the foot before i even start? My goal is become regional pilot then to major pilot. But with an incident or accident on my record, is it still possible?

Jose,

How does your situation fit into the definition of substantial damage?

Substantial damage means damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered “substantial damage” for the purpose of this part.

I don’t think that this will have a major impact on your career as long as it was not intentional and didn’t involve drugs or alcohol. You will certainly be asked about it in an interview. Golden rule is be honest and own it.

Tory

the damage my flight school give to my insurance is right after the incident or accident.
firewall lwr half
nose gear assy new
nose gear bracket assy
nose wheel cleveland
nose tire and tube
engine mount inspection
i do not know much about these parts.
I have sent my insurance an email today to ask for a copy of what’s whats paid and for what is being fixed.

I have my PPL checkride soona i dont know should i going with instrument after this I dont know is it still a good idea to start a career with an accident. I enjoy flying and if i cant make this a career. Im happy with PPL and i can fly. But with this, I’m really unsure should i keep going with aviation as carrer.

Jose,

First off glad you’re ok. Depending on the ruling and the details it shouldn’t kill your career but it could definitely impact it. Every application I’ve ever seen has asked “have you ever had an accident or incident?”. They ask that for a reason. Be prepared with a good answer and what you learned from the experience. If your answer involves the words “it really wasn’t my fault…” you need to come up with a much better one.

Oh and that might very well be your one Mulligan. Do not let it happen again and work your butt off to make sure you don’t bust checkrides. Incidents and busts are a bad combo.

Adam

Thank you. I’m just really worry this will be an accident. It was a rough day, I just move to texas and come from Class E airport with nearly zero experience ATC to a flight school at Class C. I went with my instructor for a flight on my new flight school, everything went good, She sign my solo cross country endorsement at my new flight school. I was nervous when i talk to ATC that day. Then i have an malfunction with communication device when i got to outter circle of Class C. My instructor text me and told me ATC was calling me the whole time. And that’s when i find out commo is down. Trouble shoot it and fixed it when plug on right seat radio. When i come back, its a very hard landing. I was landing at a slow speed and im just exhaust from that flight. If i can do it again, i probably wont even go that day cause im already nervous on the ground.

Jose,

Interview question: so based on everything you just told me it sounds like there were a number of items concerning you? Why did you disregard the red flags and fly that day? You also say you fixed the problem with the Comm, so why the hard landing?

Adam

Impulsivity. I want to finish everything as fast as i can, I’m in a different city for my flight training and is about 6 hour away from home. I plan to attend ATP which is 15 minutes away from my house. But i have my PPL finish halfway, so i decide come back and get my PPL knock out as fast as i can and start ATP. But now I learned to slow down and safety is priority. And the attitude is extremely important on flight. No one has to be anywhere in aviation. On the Comm Issue. I fixed the comm issue by polug on radio 2. but i have to hold button on the right seat to speak, It’s all the way to the opposite of me , right be the door. Instead the button on my York. Which I’m doing landing pattern and talk with ATC, i set myself at an awkward position for landing at the final.

So with all that in mind, aside from not flying that day, what would you have done different?

Adam

I will make a go around unless it’s a very soft landing, and this is what i have done now on since the incident. Any time at the touchdown and i dont feel comfortable, I will go around. and come back until i feel comfortable with the landing.

Jose,

Sure you always have the option to go around. But, how about once you reestablished comm with the tower you advise them of your situation and the fact you will not be able to respond to any further calls until after you land and simply focus on safely landing the airplane as that is your number one priority.

Good decision making is as important as flying skills if not more so. Pilot priorities: Aviate, Navigate Communicate in THAT order!

Adam

Roget, Thank you. Aviate Navigate Communicate. I will remember them and follow them in this order through my pilot career. Thank you very much.

Good evening, I have talk to my flight school yesterday. It is a accident, the damage wasn’t that bad, but it is an accident. Will that make a difference?

Jose,

Not really but again this may have been your one free pass. Don’t let it happen again and do well in training. You also will want to let ATP admin know when you apply for admission.

Adam

I did not inform ATP becuase i apply for ATP about 4 weeks ago and i have my insturment training start on july 13 at ATP. They start investigation on july 6. Should i still contact ATP and let them know ?

I applied for ATP at mid june and they didn’t do an investigation back then.

I would. Do you not think they have the right to know your last flight resulted in an accident?

Adam

Definitely. What im trying to say is when i apply for ATP, this hasn’t happened. Who should i contact ATP to let them know?

Should i wait till monday when school starts and let them know there, or should i call ATP and let them know ?

Jose,

You absolutely should notify ATP about this immediately.

Chris