Advice for Future Student - Time building

Hey all,

My name is Dan and I start ATP flight school in October at the MMU location. I got my PPL back in March with 44 hours. I have only accrued about 4 hours since then as I have been working and saving my pennies for when I start at ATP. My main focus has been on studying for the written exams so I can get those out of the way before school starts.

My question is, will the time building be used as extra time/training towards my instrument rating, a review/getting me back to proficiency, or a little bit of both? Do you think it will be an issue that it has been 2 months (It will be 4 at the start of school) since I have last flown? I’m definitely going to be rusty.

Respectfully,
Dan

From what I have have been told/heard about the time build, since I didn’t do it, is that it is mostly cross country flying as that is the easiest way to get the hours. Now in those cross countries you will be doing instrument approaches and starting to learning about instrument flying. If you have 44 hours of flight time you will be doing 66 hours of time build (36 to get you to 80hrs and then the 20hr XC time build that everyone does) so talk to you instructor and if you want to do maneuvers or anything else to make sure your skills are good I’m sure they can accommodate.

1 Like

Dan,

Tucker was right about the time building. You will mostly be flying cross countries and you will use that time to refresh your skills and informally begin working on your instrument license.

It will be nine months since you last flew, not two, but I wouldn’t worry about it because you have so much time building ahead of you.

Chris

1 Like

Appreciate the quick replies, Tucker and Chris! I logged a few hours in Florida down at FIT while visiting a friend in June so that was my last flight. I feel better now though knowing that the time building will get me back up to speed to where I was when I passed my checkride.

Thanks again for the help and I hope be more active on here in the future! Excited to start this new venture!

Dan

No problem. Let us know what else we can help you with.

Chris

Dan,

When I started at ATP I hadn’t flown for over 10years! THAT’S rusty! You’ll be fine.

Adam

1 Like

Hi,
I was wondering if I went to Auburn Flight School, got all of my ratings and licenses needed, graduated, and became an instructor to earn my 1500 hours for ATPL, would a major airline, like American, United, Southwest, or Delta hire me?

Thanks for your help,

John Fergus

John,

No. Pilot positions at major airlines are very sought after and the applicants are highly competitive. The typical new hire has thousands of hours of jet time, either from the military or a regional airline.

Chris

John,

There’s a process here. The Majors are the Big Leagues and you need to earn your spot. No short cuts!

Adam

John, When the time comes look into Regionals like PSA or Envoy that are owned by American Airlines. They are direct flow through to American. It will take you 6 or 7 years to accomplish this however it is a way to get somewhat of a guarantee to make it to the Legacy Line. Also if you look on Envoy’s website you can see if they have a Cadet Program at your University. If so that is a way to get into Envoy while you are building flight time as an Instructor.

Daniel,

While there’s nothing inherently wrong with flow-thrus they are far from guaranteed. There’s plenty of fine print and AA is under no obligation to take anyone. Plenty can change in 6-7yrs. Not saying they won’t take you but thinking it’s a lock is a mistake.

Adam

1 Like