Advice on supporting flight school expenses

I am extraordinarily poor, but my dream is flying and I can’t give up on it, no matter how expensive flight school is. I’m so poor that I’ll require to take out a loan, and I honestly have no problem with that because even if I go in ‘‘debt’’ I’d just be advancing to go to the job I just want to do.

I want to go to college and get a bachelors degree in Nursing. This would also require a loan, about 15,000 dollars as far as I know since it’s a really cheap college thankfully. If this goes well, hopefully I can become an RN and work as one for a few years, also saving up money. But the thing is I don’t think a full time job like nursing will leave a lot of time for flight school or to even build up hours! Correct me if I’m wrong, maybe it does. So assuming it doesn’t, when I have enough money, I’d quit my job and use all my savings for flight school.

I plan on becoming a CFI to get from 250 hours to 1,500. What are some good jobs that will keep income coming while I am a CFI to help pay for a loan if I still needed one? Is this a good strategy?

I realized I wrote this in a very confusing manner but I am quite sleepy and not too articulate so forgive me. If you need me to clarify something I will.

Giovanni,

I hate to get preachy but I’ve got a few issues with your post. First you’ve obviously posted this using a computer or a cellphone. If you were in fact “extraordinarily poor” you’d have neither and would be more concerned with where your next meal is coming from vs paying for flight training. The vast majority of people need to take loans to pay for their flight training. That doesn’t make them poor, they’re simply not wealthy. There are many poor, starving and struggling people on this planet and this is not something to be taken lightly.

Second all the mentors on this forum are professional pilots who volunteer their time to help others be successful reaching their dreams and goals in aviation. You state you “I realized I wrote this in a very confusing manner but I am quite sleepy”. So it’s not worth your time and effort to write a coherent clear post but you expect one from us?

Thank you but I’ll pass.

Adam

2 Likes

Giovanni,

While Nursing school may be a good backup plan, once you become a pilot I think it would be too difficult to do both. Nurses work long, late hours and most hospitals require that their nurses work a minimum number of hours to stay on payroll. I could see that easily interfering with whatever flying job you may have.

There a number of part-time jobs out there. I can’t say which one is better than the other as that’s all too subjective. While I understand your concern about paying off debt, the main concern I see with taking up a part-time job is that that may interfere with your students’ schedule. Most students want their Instructor to be available full-time so that the student has more options fitting their flight lessons within their schedule.

So, as for loan repayment options, there are different agreements that can be made at signing, including interest only payments or a small monthly fee that’s paid during training to lessen the loan payment post-graduation. For these types of questions I recommend speaking with ATP’s finance department.

Tory

1 Like

Giovanni,

Financing is often one of the largest hurdles that potential pilots need to jump over. There are no two ways about it, flight training is expensive. As for your plan, I am not really sure what nurses make, but I believe they can do okay. You would need to save up enough money to qualify ro finance your flight training, not necessarily the whole cost of flight school.

It can be difficult to work another job while one is a CFI. Being an instructor is a full time job and your time is best spent getting paid to fly and building flight hours.

Have you applied for flight school financing? I would want to make sure that you are not currently eligible before going down a whole different career path.

Chris