Age 44 w/ PPL-Instrument (SEL) ~375hrs

Hello everyone-
I am new to the forums and recently the question has come up, am I too old to be a professional pilot?
From what I have been reading in the forums the answer I get is NO, but with ‘potential’ realistic expectations.
-I am a PPL-Instrument with ~375 hours. I graduated college in 97’. I decided to focus on my management degree as at the time, to become a CFI was just not going be fun. Also, making 10/hr was not appealing. I was 10 hours shy of getting my Commercial Rating (SEL), but never did. Throughout the years I have flown, mostly for fun. I have done long cross countries, but the last time I file IFR was over 10 years ago.
Recently talking to my good friend who is a captain for AAL, he has encourage me not give up on my dream that I have had since I was four years old. THE DREAM IS STILL ALIVE (it just has been dormant).
I work for flight circus, but as most of you know this is a dying job (not even a career anymore). It’s time to get out! A good thing that happened while being at flight circus is I completed a Master in Unmanned Systems.

Questions:

1. With a PPL-Instrument ~375hrs will ATP allow me to complete the Commercial (MEL) and the rest of the ratings (CFI, II, MEI, MEII). I guess what I am trying to ask is; I don’t want to start from scratch specially when I have a PPL w/ Instrument Rating.
    OR
    Would it be better to get my commercial-multi elsewhere / become instrument current and finish (CFI, II, MEI, MEII) with ATP?
    My reasoning behind is money… I do not want to spent money if I don’t need too. $80K is a lot of money, when I have a family to support even if I get a loan to pay for the flying.
    -Can I do this with $30k? Commercial (MEL) (CFI, II, MEI, MEII) with ATP? Is this reasonable?
  2. I might not be captain for the Majors, but there is a chance of a FO (I say this conservatively).
  3. For all who have families, what was your logistical approach to going to ATP? (location of ATP school, wife works or not, left for 2 years to fly, etc…)
  4. Anyone have any experience at ATP at Mesa or Scottsdale, meaning is the training faster since there is better weather? (Of course it depends on the student).

Charlie,

This question gets asked daily and as always I recommend you do some forum browsing (including the response I just left a minute ago to another prospect) but here’s some quick answers:

1. ATP has 2 and only 2 programs, with your Private and without. You’ve got your Private so you’ll start from there. Anything else will be repeated sans checkride.

2. Yes there’s a chance but you might not want to start from the bottom again and as always there are no guarantees.

3. My wife threw me out (yes I’m serious) others have done better. Having no knowledge of four relationship with yours only you would know.

4. The program is 6mos whether your Snoopy or Yeager.

I don’t mean to be gruff but if you’re serious again I’d do some more reading.

Adam

Adam-
Thanks for your response. I am a noob in the forums and arena. I have not come across other questions regarding age and PPL-Instrument combination with almost 400 hours. Most appear to be age and starting from scratch.
Thank you for your response and I will keep researching. Please know that although a passion, it is daunting to know that for potentially ~9 months there is no income when I have a family to think about. I think I am coming from that angle.

Charlie,

The program from Private is only 6 mos. As I said, do some reading.

Adam