Age 51 and "flow through" to major?

Hi Everybody,

I’m Oliver, career change at age 51. The idea: I’m a 200+ hour private pilot. Complete ATP in 6-7 months, work as an instructor for about a year or so and then have 12 years of service to offer to a regional. Average time at the regionals for pilots, I understand, is roughly about 5-7 years (?) before potential flow through to the majors.

Question:
Though I would be happy to stay with a regional airline and still have a solid flying career upgrading to captain after perhaps 3-4 years (?) until retirement at 65, I was wondering:
It is my understanding that Envoy, for example, offers a flow through to AA after 6 years or so (?). So, given my scenario (and age), would that mean that even somebody like me could still move up to the majors and fly the last, say, 4-5 years for AA?

Thanks so much for your feedback.
Oliver

Oliver,

Flow-thrus are funny things. EVERYBODY in this country is jumping for joy and getting AA tattoos since American announced their flow. As someone who’s been doing this for a while can attest it’s not always that simple. Though I haven’t seen AA’s actual agreement paperwork, I have seen others and there’s generally a fair amount of fine print including the fact that they can be cancelled. Also while they LOVE to say you “COULD” flow in as “LITTLE AS” the fact is the current flows are closer to 10 than they are to 5. That all said the bigger question is would you want to? Airline training is hard and transitioning to a new aircraft at 60 (when you haven’t been doing this your whole life) can be quite challenging. Also would you really want to spend your last few years at the bottom of the seniority list with a lousy schedule and possibly a commute?

Ultimately it’s up to you and there are no guarantees on either side but if you’re not cool with the idea of flying for 12yrs at a Regional I wouldn’t waste my time. The odds are significantly greater towards that outcome.

Adam

Hi Adam,

I hear you. And I somewhat anticipated that reality would look different from all the advertisements.
That being said, I agree with your outlook.

I thought about my move not so much with the majors in mind but with flying for a regional or possibly corporate. I find the CRJs or EMBs pretty cool equipment to fly for the years I will have. But I was curious about what an insider like yourself would have to say about it. Thank you Adam.

Cheers,
Oliver

Oliver,

My understanding is that, yes, you would be able to flow through to AA, although you would need to check with them for a final answer. Keep in mind that your scenario is built on everything having perfect timing and life rarely presents itself like that.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I agree. I think Adam gave a realistic response too. As mentioned in my earlier post, I was curious about the reality of flow throughs.

I would be happy to stay with a regional in my scenario. Flying for another decade, upgrade to captain, climbing seniority and having a pretty decent life flying some really nice equipment at the regionals. Seems quite appealing to me as I don’t have kids in college, have zero debt, and am flexible to relocate. That in mind, I think I will enjoy my career change and start my training in October/November.
Thank you Chris.

Cheers,
Oliver

Oliver,

I am glad that you have realistic goals. But who knows? Maybe you will make it to a major, that would just be icing on the cake then :slight_smile:

Chris